Regulator O-rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
is there anything special about them? Are they made of special materials or in special sizes? Anything special I need to know about remocing and replacing them?

If you're using the regulator for oxygen or nitrox, you would want to use O2 compatable o-rings (usually made from viton).

I'd hate to think my life depended on an o-ring I bought at a hardware store that looked the right size - make sure you buy a genuine service kit if you plan to service your own regs. DiveInn sells such kits for some regulator brands, and you might be able to source them elsewhere.

What part of the regulator are you talking about? If it's just the o-rings on the hoses, just *very* lightly lubricate them with some silicon grease (or O2 compatable grease for nitrox/oxygen). If it's an internal o-ring on the first or second stage, and you're asking these questions, best advice is to get them professionally serviced until you get the opportunity to take a service course.

Hope this didn't come across as condescending! But pulling regulators apart is not for the mechanically-challenged, and we'd hate to lose a ScubaBoard member because of something as trivial as an o-ring :)

consider that your regulator is LIFE support,O rings can be installed incorrectly,wrong greasecould be used, apart from replacing a few O rings the Reg has to be adjusted usually with special tools. Before you dive into your reg see if you can find some one withthe right tools and know how to guide you thru. The life you save could be your own. Be safe Good Luck

bengiddins--No worries. I've just decided to start gettting deeper into my regulators especially the 2nd stage since I frequently dive in muudy conditions. I have found that the rinsing after diving isn't getting all the dirt out of the OCTO in particular. I'm not worried about ruining this 2nd stage for various reasons. One I only gave $70 for it. The paperwork is gone the company that sold it is gone as is the retailer so there are no warranty issues. I have watched a technician do some of this work. I used to do similar work on hospital and surgical equipment.

At this point I didn't go any further into the 2nd stage ie actually removing and disassembling the valve mechanism 'cuz I'm missing one tool.

I dive plain air but I was wondering about the O-rings as far as compostion and dimensions.

jbd,

Are you familiar with Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair by Vance Harlow? It is available from Airspeed Press.

I borrowed his appendix on sources for regulator parts and tools and put it on my webpage (with hyperlinks to the companies that have webpages).

You can get to this info by clicking on my URL below and following the "Diver Tips" link to "Scuba Regulator Parts and Tools."

In days gone by, the regulator manufacturers used common O rings available at the time. They found that those used in sliding or "dynamic" interfaces would tend to extrude and leak after a year or two. Scubapro, for example, remedied these problems by converting to something called "hyperthane" rubber compounds. As I say, these are for high pressure apps.

So, JBD, that's the answer, yes and no. Some O rings used in the first stage may have special requirements and be made of material compounds selected for that application. Not to put too fine a point on it, but the O rings in a piston first stage should be those recommended by the manufacturer. In most other types of apps, the common nitrile O rings do just fine.

Yes and no.

Stone--I know of the book but have not yet purchased it. I thought about doing my own service last year but put it off since the diving season ended for me. This year I decided to "dive" into it since at this point even if I ruin this particular 2nd stage I can easily chalk it up to the cost of education.

Reflecting on my last sentence above--no this is not a cavalier attitude. The work will be done carefully and when its done I will test it in hip deep or shallower water first then carefully proceed deeper with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom