Regulator of choice for Alternative Air Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
After reading several threads on pony tanks, I sure would like to hear what regulator (1st & 2nd stage) you would recommend for alternative air tanks (including pony bottles, stage tanks, etc.)..

I just ordered a 30cf tank, so I’m now in the market for a alternative air regulator. I’m tempted to stick with either ScubaPro or Deep 6 regulators, as that’s what I have now, but wondering if there any special considerations worth considering for alternative air regulators.

Not really anything special for consideration.

I have a mix between Atomic M1's and Apeks XTX/DS4's.

Since you already have SP and Deep6 and I assume are happy with.... i'd stick with those.

A 40 is much nicer than a 30 for many reasons, one mentioned above. As for a regulator, I found it nicer to keep things standardized, meaning the same brand as my primary. I used to have different brands, but it was a pain getting them serviced (this was before I started servicing regs); one shop was able to service my primary, but not the one for the pony bottle. So, using the same type as your primary reg will suffice for ease.

@shurite7 @tbone1004 Thanks for your regulator feedback. In reply to your suggestion to go with a 40, I’d like to reply. From my research, a 19 is adequate for an (uncomplicated) normal surfacing from a depth of 100 feet, but little more. I’ve read that it is easy to leave a 40 on the boat saying you don’t need it (for this dive) due to its added weight & bulk. My selection logic..... a 30 is significantly better than a 19 and a bit less bulky and heavy than a 40. Since I’m not tech diving the 30 seemed like a good compromise for my present use. Make sense?

I don’t have a 30 but I do have 13,19 and 40, moving back to the original question, I use Mk11 on most, I have a mk20 o one 19cf and for seconds I like the old AIR 1 scubapro, flat and easy to switch to left side inlet.
B8375341-E31C-47BD-8418-47E9D58B5B77.jpeg

@Doctor Rig, the buoyancy characteristic of the 40 is nicer than the 30 and because the 40 is a little longer it holds the reg hose (40”) without excess sticking out.

You can stick with the 30 if you wish. Personally I found the 40 had better benefits.

Back
Top Bottom