Regulator recovery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive and let dive. Teach and let teach. I teach differently than most any other instructor I know. I think that kneeling in a pool session is anathema and more important than how to get an octo. But I wouldn't want to impose how I do things on others. I'm satisfied with providing an example. Dive and let dive. Teach and let teach.
No I agree with you. The more I dive the more I consider a necklace and long hose setup, at least when diving w/o my ffm. I don't have a 7 ft hose but I do dive a 40" so I could adapt that to a necklace/primary donate setup. But I'm restricted in OW classes by whatever procedure(s) the instructor teaches so that's what I have to go by with students. I also agree with teaching neutral buoyancy. Just takes experience for students to get that skill mastered more so than reg recovery, etc.

When my daughter was getting certified, I would occasionally talk with her (before classes) suggesting to perform the training in neutral buoyancy, use frog kicks almost exclusively, and a couple other finer points which she did in fact do. The instructors were impressed as to her techniques, but still taught "the old way"....

The shop continues to configure equipment "in the old way", and even at her open water dives, her gear had to be set up that way. As soon as she earned her card, her first request was to reconfigure her gear to "dad's way".... her comment - "it just seems better"...

But I'm restricted in OW classes by whatever procedure(s) the instructor teaches so that's what I have to go by with students.

Yet another reason you should become an instructor.

Bob

How does one convince an instructor to not teach with folks kneeling on the bottom? That seems to be the standard fare for many instructors. as you know.

-Z
This is what many instructors have pushed for, regardless of agency. I’ve been teaching neutral for almost 10 years, it works and the results are a far superior diver.
However, it’s an affront to most instructors that have been taught knees on the bottom, 90% Perhaps? Even PADI has directed to teach neutral, if an instructor isn’t doing it then it’s possible they don’t know how.
Hard to shrink the instructor ego and make them learn how to teach again. But for instructors that care, it’s a process worth going through.

Gauge the personality of the target instructor, see how best to present the issue. There are specific courses for instructors to get them to that level.

I work with students doing their OW training in one of the clubs I am in. I wonder how the chief instructor would take it if I suggest, the next time he assigns me students to work with on this skill, that they should first switch to the octo and then recover the other 2nd stage.

-Z

I wonder if in part it is due to the average always-rents-gear diver having their octo in a different place every time they dive?

with a long hose the sweep is stupid
When I took my CMAS 3 this spring, we had to demonstrate the sweep several times as if for a group of students. In horizontal trim and decent buoyancy. I think that everyone of us, including the instructors, used a long hose setup. No problems there.

OTOH, if I lose my primary for real, it'll be dangling from its hose somewhere around my right shoulder D-ring, so maybe that's what you mean about the sweep being stupid?

How does one convince an instructor to not teach with folks kneeling on the bottom? That seems to be the standard fare for many instructors. as you know.

-Z

I think @Bob DBF already nailed the answer in his advice to become an instructor yourself.

However, if that is not in the cards for you to do then I would just bring the topic up with the instructor. Almost anyone I have ever had the discussion with is open to that topic (or any other one) if approached in a respectful way. As a DM I constantly asked these questions of the instructors that I was helping and they were all excited to have the conversation. When asking for knowledge sake people tend to open up about why they do certain things. Now that I am on the road to trying to become a good instructor I like to think that some of my perspective is starting to bleed over to others in our shop.

Back
Top Bottom