Regulator Service Technician Training - Unrestricted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the last of the tools in today, all in a toolbox dedicated to just this purpose

Very nice. Do you have a place to put trays when you are working on more than one reg at a time?
Like these?
20210718_173439.jpg

Its a simple workbench from Harbor Freight that I bought for $140ish. I added a small shelf behind it to place the computer monitor, LED lamp with magnifying glass, and some of the allen wrenches (also from HF). When I bought my house, I already had a nicer vise from my previous house, so the one you see here, I restored (as it was a fair bit rusty). I made a little form for the magnehelic (had to include a dive flag after all). Storage bins for tools and such also below on the shelf and on the floor underneath the shelf. I'll also use this space for soldering/wiring. It wasn't that all expensive to put together. While the microscope from Plugable is seen here, the desktop camera (web cam with flexible stand to point in any direction) is not. The microscope is for showing in detail small parts and the camera for in general what I'm doing to address the difficulty of not having an instructor next to me.

I'm happy to guide anyone interested in setting something similar up.
Do you have details of magnahelic stand setup?

PM sent

Well, we've wrapped Round #2 and once again, I had a ball. The participants were active in tossing a wide variety of questions into the mix, and we covered issues across the equipment spectrum over our 2 1/2 days.
The addition of a Friday night short session turned out to be a good move, from my standpoint. It meant that folks came into the Sat/Sun marathon with a disassembled first stage, and could start looking at their parts with a critical eye as we started introducing theory. It allowed the first cleaning session to occur before the marathon began, and I think got folks over their initial trepidation at cracking a reg apart. It made Saturday morning more relaxed, and also meant that both Sat and Sun sessions ended 90 min early.

We'll see what folks have to say, but once again, data overload is a challenge. We cover a lot of ground. Nonetheless, half the class had never opened a regulator before, and are now owners of self-serviced regs that are working within specification. That's got to feel good.

Round #3 is set aside for a group from Australia, Bulgaria, Romania, Finland and Germany who will meet with me in the wee hours US time over four short weekend sessions. There are still a few slots open. The class will take place from 0500-1100 UTC on
October 9,10
October 16,17
Open a conversation from the Inbox and send me a message if you'd like a slot.

Round #4 is tentatively scheduled for November, and all slots are full including standby. More to come for those participants as we firm up dates.
Round #5 will probably be in January, 2022. As above, open a Conversation if you'd like to reserve a slot.

This second seminar felt less rushed from my point of view, and the slightly shorter days (poured into Friday night) was a good move. I'll count on the participants to let you all know if this was worthwhile training, and what I can do to make it better.
Cert.jpg

The class was so good, and while it is over 2.5 days, it is engaging and goes by fast. There is Tons of detailed technical information. Rob is a natural born teacher and his patience is truly amazing. He answers everyones questions with clarity and detail you never feels rushed. @rsingler thank you for letting me participate.

Rob's seminar was very good. He has a love and enthusiasm for the subject that shines thru. He also has a huge amount of patience for students and stayed around each day until we ran out of questions. I got a lot out of it and plan to maintain my own regs. And Rob has graciously offered to help me with my Kraken double-hose reg as a follow-up since we couldn't cover it in class.

A few notes:
- Purchase and read the Reg Savvy book beforehand. You'll get more out of the class. The book was a bit dry. Rob's lecture helped to illustrate and clarify some things.

- In the lead up to class, Rob will send you manuals and tool lists. Go thru the maintenance diagrams and manual for your regs well ahead of class. Think about how you'll accomplish each teardown/rebuild step. Some steps require special tools. Email Rob with any questions. He has work arounds for not having some of the special tools. Others you will need to buy. For parts cleaning, you'll need some white vinegar and some gentle unscented dish soap.

- There was a lunch break each day. On the first day, I had a quick bite and then used the rest of the break to clean my second stage parts. I could have left those parts until after the end of that day's class. At other times during the long day, I was on bluetooth (muted), and could take bio-breaks.

- Some attendees were in noisy areas and sometimes didn't self-mute. At times I had trouble hearing the lecture. Rob often literally had his hands full and could not force mute on those attendees. After the class I followed up and found that Zoom has a push-to-talk feature that can be enabled. But it requires the attendees to have a keyboard so they can push the spacebar to talk. I think some attendees were on iPad without keyboards. And at other times, we were all working with our hands during builds and would have had trouble with the spacebar... so maybe that won't work. Maybe mute all with push-to-talk during lectures, and unmute all during builds?

A big thanks to @rsingler for an excellent class, and to @couv for his insights and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom