Regulator Service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Different shop, but something like that happened to me once too.... Now have nearly 10 years of self servicing of my gear... Haven't set foot in the door there since. Hope it was worth it to them. I know it has been for other service and equipment suppliers.

The guy is selling everything so he is probably getting out of diving. I am sure that shop will never see him again.

This is for more than just a "regulator" service. It appears to include BC and gauge service. The labor charges appear to be high. I don't know about the prices for the service kits and parts replaced if they are higher than they should or not.

The labor charge is about double the going rate and unless something has changed, the kits are marked up well over retail. I am not sure what a BC service is, I was told by a honest dive shop owner that if the BC holds air and the inflator works it is good to go. Nothing needs to be replaced.

I am not sure what the SPG service is as the person has an AI Cobra dive computer. If they actually changed the battery and tested the computer then the charge may not be too bad.

I am also not sure what the story is with the two purge covers. He only has one second stage and an octo/inflator.

I am not sure what a BC service is, I was told be an honest dive shop owner that if the BC holds air and the inflator works it is good to go.

BC service in my view includes cleaning the outside and inside of the bc, the inflator, checking the hoses, checking integrity of bladder and other "checking" steps including leaving the BC inflated overnight after service to make sure that all is OK. I had a long "checklist" for BC service we used in our service department when I owned my store in NY ages ago. I am not sure of it but I think that we charged around $25 for this service (without parts). Some BC's were in a horrible state while others were hardly used.

I am not sure what the SPG service is as the person has an AI Cobra dive computer. If they actually changed the battery and tested the computer then the charge may not be too bad.

For me a Cobra service will include battery change (with o'ring and kit), servicing/cleaning the HP swivel and quick disconnect, testing the computer in a pressure pot after service and comparing the readings with two other computers/digital gauges.

The shop clearly ripped off the person which is why one should get an estimate. The guy will not get his money back as the gear will not sell for what he paid for the service. Should have sold he gear sans service.

That said, the shop is not a AquaLung dealer so they probably bought the purge covers from another shop at full price then added their 50% markup plus the cost to send someone to drive over and pickup the parts.

BC service in my view includes cleaning the outside and inside of the bc, the inflator, checking the hoses, checking integrity of bladder and other "checking" steps including leaving the BC inflated overnight after service to make sure that all is OK. I had a long "checklist" for BC service we used in our service department when I owned my store in NY ages ago. I am not sure of it but I think that we charged around $25 for this service (without parts). Some BC's were in a horrible state while others were hardly used.

What did you clean it with? and will you share your checklist. Thanks.

The main reason that I service my regs is the COST as well as the turn round time. I am glad that Apeks are dead easy to service and no problem of getting the service kit locally. Spare parts is another story(more or less impossible since AL took over the business).
The dump valve and the power inflator in the BC are the parts that I usually take good care of. Commercially, I have no idea how they do it.

Well dang. This shop is two miles down the street from me (next closest one is good 30-40 min away). Was going to reach out to them about servicing my regs, but this is further pushing me to learn to work on my own regs...Vance Harlow's book can't get here fast enough.

In the meantime, I guess I should send out some feelers to Atomic, ScubaToys and Professional Scuba Repair about service pricing/turnaround....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom