regulator setup for doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoyoguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm hoping someone can elaborate on what to keep my eye open for with a doubles regulator setup. I already have an spg. I will not be doing doubles until next summer but will start looking for some used regs to help the wallet out. I know i will need two first stages and two second stages. Could you all please comment on a budget friendly setup but also a medium to higher setup just incase funding allows me. For example...what is the lowest end models you would buy for doubles with future deeper tech dives in mind? What would a next step better model be? Also...the current place I bring my styff to is a certified aqualung/apeks dealer so maybe I'll stick with those brands...

apeks atx40 and a ds4 x 2. or hog as you're in the states

what is the lowest end models you would buy for doubles with future deeper tech dives in mind?

MARES 42s (kidding)

Since I have always serviced my own regs even before I started selling them I like brands that don't require me to bring them into a shop.
I want a sealed first stage on each post. Prefer diaphragm regs since they are easy to service and maintain.
Second stages should be identical in performance so I use the same ones on the long hose and the back up.
For my doubles and sidemount rigs I use HOG D-1's with Zenith seconds. Used to use classics but I upgraded to the one piece cover the Zenith's offer.
Going by Leisure Pro pricing the cost for a HOG set up for both posts with the right hoses and classic seconds was about the same as a comparable aqualung or Scuba Pro for one side with a hose you have to get rid of and buy new ones.

---------- Post added July 12th, 2015 at 05:40 PM ----------

Oh and you definitely want DIN regs. No yoke set ups.

Since I have always serviced my own regs even before I started selling them I like brands that don't require me to bring them into a shop.
I want a sealed first stage on each post. Prefer diaphragm regs since they are easy to service and maintain.
Second stages should be identical in performance so I use the same ones on the long hose and the back up.
For my doubles and sidemount rigs I use HOG D-1's with Zenith seconds. Used to use classics but I upgraded to the one piece cover the Zenith's offer.
Going by Leisure Pro pricing the cost for a HOG set up for both posts with the right hoses and classic seconds was about the same as a comparable aqualung or Scuba Pro for one side with a hose you have to get rid of and buy new ones.

---------- Post added July 12th, 2015 at 05:40 PM ----------

Oh and you definitely want DIN regs. No yoke set ups.

Will a shop that does not sell hogs...know how to service them?

Cave Adventurers - HOG Backmount Regulator Package - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

hard to beat that new.... Otherwise if you're already in with an Apeks dealer, the DST/DS4 with either ATX or XTX seconds will work out just fine. Used Apeks are going to be about the same price as the new hogs btw....

And whether they know how or are willing to service them is a very different discussion point. Will they know how? Yes, they are essentially identical service procedures, but if you're paying to have them serviced it defeats the point. They are almost cheaper to just throw away than to service. $550 gets you a new set, but to pay to have them serviced is minimum $100 in parts kits, then usually $25/stage so another $100 there. May as well run them for 3-4 years and just get a new set. This is why most all tech divers service their own gear

Cave Adventurers - HOG Backmount Regulator Package - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

hard to beat that new.... Otherwise if you're already in with an Apeks dealer, the DST/DS4 with either ATX or XTX seconds will work out just fine. Used Apeks are going to be about the same price as the new hogs btw....

And whether they know how or are willing to service them is a very different discussion point. Will they know how? Yes, they are essentially identical service procedures, but if you're paying to have them serviced it defeats the point. They are almost cheaper to just throw away than to service. $550 gets you a new set, but to pay to have them serviced is minimum $100 in parts kits, then usually $25/stage so another $100 there. May as well run them for 3-4 years and just get a new set. This is why most all tech divers service their own gear

Hmm well when I bought my aqualung legend lx...it came with free service parts for life. All I had to do is register it and the shop rebuilds it every other year but I'm guessing used regs would lose that option. How does one go about learning to service their regs. Is there a class to take?

Hmm well when I bought my aqualung legend lx...it came with free service parts for life. All I had to do is register it and the shop rebuilds it every other year but I'm guessing used regs would lose that option. How does one go about learning to service their regs. Is there a class to take?

Yes Hog has a class that is offered, you need to find a technician which can be difficult depending on where you are---you may need to travel.

A good used double reg set up should cost between 400-500 dollars, with most at the $500 price point, and would include spg and all of the hoses. I could maybe see paying $550 if they look brand new and haven't seen much use. These would be your Apeks (which I absolutely love), atomic, scubapro, aqualung legends, etc. I also want/focus on regs that have been used recently, I picked up a set of double ATX 200s that hadn't been serviced in 2 years, but since they were used a few weeks earlier, I picked them up. I had them checked by the LDS, all good, did a test dive, all good. I'll dive them this season and get them cleaned during the off season.

The other option would be to get brand new Hogs. I have never used one, but lot of people on this board and a few divers I know do like them. I haven't looked at all the new pricing, but I remember that Hog had some weird pricing where if you bought the single reg, chose the right hose sizes and build the doubles yourself, you saved money from buying the doubles package..no sure if that is still the case, but something to look into.

I think the hog D1's are about as bulletproof as they get. They are robust, simple, inexpensive and honestly you could teach just about any animal with thumbs how to service them. As far as how they breath....they breath as good or better than any of the top line big brand regs. I've used mine to 300' and beyond with no issues whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom