Regulator storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pepperbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What is the best way to store regulators, both at home in the off season and while on a trip?
I see references to a hard case now and then. I have a soft case for mine but I can see a risk of cracking or breaking something even in a padded case.
Is it better to let them hang at home or leave them coiled?

Mine lay randomly coiled in a couple large drawers. they have lots of company. I do store mine with the purge buttons depressed.

At home, after thoroughly dried, they reside loosely coiled in a sealed "under the bed" container. Safely out of the way and also safe from dust and insects.

I used to worry about that too, but honestly, even at $2.50 each for HOG/SP seats (what mine use) I just don't seem to bother...

All my scuba gear is in Florida. I have a good size bank of drawers in my closet where my regulators are stored, loosely coiled. I also store my computers, camera equipment, lights, and a bunch of small stuff there. Everything else is hanging downstairs in the scuba room on two large racks. I have equipment for all 4 members of my family, the downstairs looks like a small rental shop. I have a large tub and a drying rack in the garage that I use to rinse and dry our equipment. I've worked on this off and on for the last 5 years, it's now nearly perfect for me.

When I travel, I pack most of my gear in regular hard sided, soft luggage. I wrap my regulator in soft stuff in the middle of the suitcase. I stopped using a reg bag many years ago. I take my computer and camera in carry on. This strategy has been 100% successful and allows enough flexibility to meet all kinds of weight restrictions. Luckily, I've only had airlines not deliver my gear on arrival, one time :)

At home after they have been rinsed well I coil mine up and put them back in the pelican case I use whenever I go out on a dive. Really can't go wrong with a Pelican 1450 case to travel and store them in. Plus there's room for my dive computer and it keeps everything out of direct sunlight and free of dust.

I think I have read about people using a Pelican case. That was what made me curious. That is an expensive case. I don't even use one for my competition pistols- but they are made of steel.

I think I have read about people using a Pelican case. That was what made me curious. That is an expensive case. I don't even use one for my competition pistols- but they are made of steel.
I've got all of my pelican cases online from B&H photo. I think it's like $90 for the 1450 which is what I use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom