Regulator Suggestions: Atomic Z2, DGX/Deep 6, Deep 6 Signature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubapro dealer is apparently also the one charging almost $100 per stage for servicing

Something is terribly wrong here, this can't be. Make sure that you understand the pricing. I can't imagine somebody charges this much per stage and stays in business.

If this is the case, you can always send your scubapro regulators to other very reputable service centers.

I thought scuba pro was lifetime free service? Some of my spear buddies go to a different shop than I do, it is a Scuba Pro shop.

I thought scuba pro was lifetime free service? Some of my spear buddies go to a different shop than I do, it is a Scuba Pro shop.
Free parts for service, if you service annually on schedule, if memory serves.

DBP here is one suggestion, full disclosure, though I am not a not associate with a shop I dive and rebuild Atomic regs. Given you are on a grad student budget and will be using your regs a bunch my suggestion would be to look for a good set used regs. One can find good deals on fleabay and here on da board. If you want a second opinion before buying send any of us PM.

Regardless of the brand, get the regs serviced. In the case of Atomics regs if you do not have local dealer you can send them directly to AA for service as well as shops such ScubaToys who do mail order service. The cost of shipping may offset the cost of time and driving.

As I mentioned (and BurhanMuntasser) one of best bits of the AA regs is that one can take one of the early models like a Z1 or B1 and update the second stage to the Z2 or B2 easily for under $50. The really early AA first stages will need a piston upgrade which that cost can be avoided if one knows what to look for before buying. The first stages can be sealed easily but sealing a piston reg is a bit more involved and expensive than a diaphragm reg.

PS Are you diving out of Yaquina Bay and the MSC?? I used dive out there for crabs when I went to OSU.

Based off everything you described the deep 6 signature set is the best option. The reality is when it comes to ease of breathing almost any of the top set ups when tuned “properly” are going to breath and feel the same to you. Our lungs aren’t fine tuned computers that can pick up the minute differences between these set ups. That’s just the reality. Again I’m only talking about top options and being properly tuned. Anything no matter how great it is can breath like garbage if it’s not done right.

Deep 6 has as far as I’ve seen the flat out fastest turn around time for their reg services in the industry period. Which since you’ll be getting service annually can be important to you. Secondly they openly provide you all the schematics to work on your set ups if so you desire as well as offering online service classes so yourself can be accredited to work on your rigs so you’ll have no need to even send your rigs out. You can do them yourself at home and you’ll be certified to do so directly from deep 6. They also provide you from the get go with parts kits for your 1st, 2nd and octo for free. Your first service for all those items are also free with deep 6. The second service on will be whatever the current rate was when you bought your Rigs. So if you buy today your locked into the current rate forever. Even if services go up in price yours will not. I don’t know what the current rate is but I know they are well under $100. And the service fee includes parts. So it’s not a service fee and a parts fee on top.

Thirdly you can get an entire deep 6 set meaning 1sr, 2nd, octo, gauge and all hoses for less than these others will cost you for just their 1st and 2nd. Another thing to take into account is their “octo” is really jusy another deep 6 signature 2nd with a different face plate. So your 2nd and octo are matching sets. Deep 6 are routinely used in cold dives including under ice without any issues which has been documented all over SB.

Don’t get me wrong. I love the F8. I was a fan boy hard and was dead set on that as my starting point of my rig. I was just pointed in the direction of deep 6 while talking to some more educated divers than I am while getting certified. Then after research and more than a few threads here on SB I pulled the deep 6 trigger. I couldn’t be happier. Honestly it started from the moment I got them. They actually had forgot my parts kits in the boxes since I bought during a crazy sale period so they were swamped with orders. I sent them an email let them know and a few days later I had a box in the mail with plenty of kits. I’m good to go. Now I’ve had the pleasure to speak with Chris(founder and designer) and Landon(highly rated guy on SB and all around good dude) works for them as well and both are very active on SB. Their attention to detail and attention to their customers needs set them above everyone else. If you have an issue your not trying to chase down a company or store etc, they are easy to get a hold of and will always make sure your good to go. Customer service means a lot when your talking about an investment with your gear.

Honestly all the options your looking at are good choices and all will perform really well. I just think deep 6 signature is your best value, quality and really fits all your needs for a set and future service requirements

No. There was never any free service for life.

At one time you received free parts for life IF you are the original owner AND got your regulator serviced on schedule. If you fell out of schedule then you needed to pay for parts on the first service and got free parts on the next one if you serviced on schedule.

Now, if you fall out of service you cannot get free parts for life again. Since 2012, free parts for life were only offered if you you by a complete Scubapro kit including regulator, BCD, and a computer. I am not sure if they even still offer it. There is nothing on their website.

Also while looking at the SP site to see if they still offer parts for life, I noticed that they now require you to have the reg serviced every two years in order to keep the lifetime warranty in effect. This was not a requirement before.

Something is terribly wrong here, this can't be. Make sure that you understand the pricing. I can't imagine somebody charges this much per stage and stays in business.

If this is the case, you can always send your scubapro regulators to other very reputable service centers.

It's possible I misheard. I might call them again to check, but they've also been on the grumpier/annoyed side whenever I talk to them. Didn't give me a good feel for that LDS

It's possible I misheard. I might call them again to check, but they've also been on the grumpier/annoyed side whenever I talk to them. Didn't give me a good feel for that LDS

There are many other excellent service centers you can ship your equipment to if these folks don't give you proper service and prices.

If, as it appears, that the OP chooses Deep6 Signature he can expect great service and great performance at a moderate price. The only upgrade I would see him going for in the future would be another Deep6 Signature set when he switches to back-mounted doubles or side-mount.

Check this dive center, they maybe able to help you with servicing:

ASTORIASCUBA.COM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom