Regulator tuning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apeks is made in UK so plenty of qualified technicians around.
There are enough materials on line for Apeks regs if one is inclined to learn. But you have to decide if it is suitable for you.

Go back and re-read what I wrote. Notice the word CONVENTIONAL. That was included to specifically exclude regulators like Poesidons and the D series.

Rusty, you are right, I over read ‚conventional’, sorry…….

But apart from that I believe that the usual 1 – 1,4 inch/h2o cracking effort (CE) limit of most ‘conventional’ can be rather considered as an orientation than a real technical justified limit if liability doesn’t play a role, so for DIYer for example.

I’m adjusting my 2nds always to 0,8 – 09 inch/h2o, also when the manufacturers specs ask for a 1,0 inch/h2o minimum limit, simply because I like my regs to breathe as easy and effortless as possible.

It seems some here believe that adjusting 2nds below manufacturers specs automatically leads to slight free flow and so to air loss.

I cannot confirm that from experience.

And even theoretically an unfavourable CGF can lead to slight free flow only in the worst case scenario, means with ‘conventional’ 2nds in a vertical head over position.

That’s not my favorite position in a dive and doesn’t happen very often or long during a dive.

So for me personally it’s the question, should I do without diving a 2nd to its capacity, because the manufacturer sets a limit on the conservative side to be safe, or do I want to enjoy full the quality of that reg?

For me that has been always clear……

SP demands for example in different publications for the D350/400 different CE limits (Wolfinger 1,0 inch/h2o, in a table for CEs for different 2nds it’s 1,4 inch/h2o), so what is correct and why?

I do anyway not understand how somebody can connect the personal air consumption with the slight free flow, which is possible in inverted dive positions, when the CE is tuned ‘hot’.

The air loss can be for the mentioned reasons only minimal, so my concern would be much more that in inverted dive positions not only there might be theoretically (maybe also practically) a slight free flow, but the fact that also some water could enter the 2nd, so one might have a little ‘wet’ breathing.

Anyway, if I know that I might have a dive with more situations, where I might dive in Inverted (head over) positions like maybe a wreck dive, I adjust my 2nd a bit stiffer, but otherwise I will always adjust my 2nd ‘super hot’………….

My Tidal Volume increases if I adjust my 2nds hot?

Ah, okay, can’t say, because my regs have been always adjusted very light and I do that now for thirty years, and I use pretty little air while diving, so I’m more with Angelo…….

Back
Top Bottom