Regulators: Best Value x < $600 ex. Dive Rite, Deep 6, DGX, HOG, etc.

First Regulator Set: Best Value x < $600?

• Dive Rite XT

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Deep 6

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • DGX (Deep 6)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • HOG

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Scuba Pro (MK2 EVO w/R195)

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Other

Votes: 10 14.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barnaby'sDad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm a new diver (checking out this weekend) and I'm looking at getting my first set of regulators ASAP. I don't have a whole lot of interest in technical diving at the moment, but I want to buy regulators that won't limit me...should I decide to get into it in the future.

The ceiling that I'm setting is ~$600 for the complete regulator package. I've been leaning towards Dive Rite regulators, as that's what I'm using for my class and they breathe well. The only downside with them seemed to be that they breathed a tad damp when inverted.

I figured it would be worth asking around here to see if there are any other options that I should be considering.

Requirements:

-Minimal breathing effort required.

-DIN fitting

-Environmentally sealed

-Either easy to service yourself (mechanically inclined) or readily available dealer service. Good dealer and/or manufacturer support in general.

Some questions:

-HOG, Deep 6, and Dive Rite. Is one regulator or another better for user service? Each seems to have a cult like following. Looking around on the internets, It looked like Dive Rite doesn't require a course prior to being able to purchase service parts, while HOG and Deep 6 require a course first. (I think I have that right)

-ScubaPro MK2 EVO with R195. I realize that this one is an oddball (dealer maintenance required), but I figured I'd throw it out there as a more mainstream option.

-The DGX/budget Deep 6 regulator...are these a solid value? I read a thread in the Deep 6 forum that discussed the differences between the DGX and regular Deep 6 regulators. I see that the service interval for the DGX is half the length of the regular Deep 6 regulators, so that's going to add up...especially if I decide not to service it myself.

I get that It would make more sense to not buy right off. However, I do not get a lot of time off. When I'm able to get away and go diving...I would prefer to show up, know that my equipment is good to go, and not have to wonder what rental equipment I'm going to get stuck with.
I would appreciate any advice that you can offer. Thank you.:cheers:

For me, it comes down to service. Either DIY or local availability.

For what it’s worth Deep 6 does not require a course for service parts (in fact they come with the regulator for their signature regs.)

I am a HOG dealer and HOG and Deep Six regulator instructor. All of the regs you noted are good regs. Solid, reliable, and easy to service.
Except that the ScubaPro will not let you service them yourself.
It depends on what you want to do. Deep Six will sell you the kits and so can any HOG dealer. You don't need to take the class to buy the kits. Heck, I'll sell you kits without you even buying the reg. You won't know what to do with them but I'll make a sale.
I took note of your comment that the DR regs breathe damp when inverted.
The vast majority of regs with the second stage design like that will. It's basic physics. When inverted the exhaust diaphragm is now the highest point of the reg. ANY little bit of exhaled air will hold it open for a short time and allow water in since the pressure of the water holding it closed is less than that of the air holding it open.
Resulting in a damp breath.
It would be possible to put a stiffer diaphragm to minimize this but then that would increase the work of breathing on a normal exhale.
If you want a price on the HOG set send me an email or PM.
You can also call me after 3:30 most days for more info on servicing and the differences between the regs.
A 15 minute call could save half a dozen emails.

For me, it comes down to service. Either DIY or local availability.

For what it’s worth Deep 6 does not require a course for service parts (in fact they come with the regulator for their signature regs.)

That's right. I mixed that up. Thank you.

I am a HOG dealer and HOG and Deep Six regulator instructor. All of the regs you noted are good regs. Solid, reliable, and easy to service.
Except that the ScubaPro will not let you service them yourself.
It depends on what you want to do. Deep Six will sell you the kits and so can any HOG dealer. You don't need to take the class to buy the kits. Heck, I'll sell you kits without you even buying the reg. You won't know what to do with them but I'll make a sale.
I took note of your comment that the DR regs breathe damp when inverted.
The vast majority of regs with the second stage design like that will. It's basic physics. When inverted the exhaust diaphragm is now the highest point of the reg. ANY little bit of exhaled air will hold it open for a short time and allow water in since the pressure of the water holding it closed is less than that of the air holding it open.
Resulting in a damp breath.
It would be possible to put a stiffer diaphragm to minimize this but then that would increase the work of breathing on a normal exhale.
If you want a price on the HOG set send me an email or PM.
You can also call me after 3:30 most days for more info on servicing and the differences between the regs.
A 15 minute call could save half a dozen emails.

Thank you for taking the time to provide that explanation. I didn't think it was a significant enough issue to negatively impact my opinion of the regulators. I only noticed the damp breaths while I was inverted, so I don't see that being a huge concern during a typical dive.

I appreciate the offer. My instructor is a HOG and Deep 6 dealer. I wanted to do some research on my own prior to bugging him about pricing. He's been good to deal with, so I will give him the first crack at a sale if I decide to go the HOG or Deep 6 route.:cheers:

I'm by no means an expert... but something I've learned about SCUBA diving equipment... buy used.

This is a hobby where people think they'll love it, and they spend a lot of money gearing up... then life changes and they sell their slightly used, or new gear, at a huge loss.

Spend some time looking through the classified forums, ask questions, and save a lot of money by buying used.

PS... I'm all for buying and using one's own gear... I think it makes diving more enjoyable...

I'm by no means an expert... but something I've learned about SCUBA diving equipment... buy used.

This is a hobby where people think they'll love it, and they spend a lot of money gearing up... then life changes and they sell their slightly used, or new gear, at a huge loss.

Spend some time looking through the classified forums, ask questions, and save a lot of money by buying used.

PS... I'm all for buying and using one's own gear... I think it makes diving more enjoyable...

I've been keeping an eye on the classified forum for the past month or so. I'm not opposed to buying used for a lot of things. However, where regulators are concerned...most of the ones that I've seen wouldn't be a deal (to me) by the time I factor in having to buy parts kits and labor (either my time or paying for a shops).

the DGX Deep6 reg is not a better value than the Deep6 because it doesn't have the same parts benefits as the signature so total cost of ownership is higher.

I would choose the Deep6 Signature or Dive Rite XT's, doesn't really matter which one. I think D6 is a better value though

There's a set of SP's on there for $200... shipped and they were just serviced...
That sale includes what I think is a Brass SP SPG too... not sure if a MK10 is sealed, but you could sell that an buy a MK17 (a great 1st IMO)...

Edit... I gotta stop looking through the classifieds... I'll end up buying more regulators!!!

the DGX Deep6 reg is not a better value than the Deep6 because it doesn't have the same parts benefits as the signature so total cost of ownership is higher.

I would choose the Deep6 Signature or Dive Rite XT's, doesn't really matter which one. I think D6 is a better value though

The more I think about the DGX, the more I come around to that line of thinking.

There's a set of SP's on there for $200... shipped and they were just serviced...
That sale includes what I think is a Brass SP SPG too... not sure if a MK10 is sealed, but you could sell that an buy a MK17 (a great 1st IMO)...

Edit... I gotta stop looking through the classifieds... I'll end up buying more regulators!!!

That one got my attention too. I wouldn't mind lightly used, but that has some miles on it (hence the price). That and I'd be dropping some coin on a new octo. At that point...I'm closing in on the price of a new DGX setup.

Yup...I've had a problem with that over the years too. ex. Golf balls. I've got a LOT of golf balls. Hey...if they stopped putting sales out there, I'd stop buying them.:surrender:

The regs i want are so high I bought some cheapos for a stop gap until i can buy what i want. I got the Divers Supply house brand Sea Elite. Dove them the first time last weekend and I was very impressed, they breathe very smooth and easy. They are simple, no frills and very basic design, Cost me $199 shipped and came with everything but hose protectors and an inflaitor hose. I was a little concerned that there wasnt alot of info about them but im very satisfied for what I got for the price. They will work until I can round up the cash to get what i want.

Back
Top Bottom