Regulators: Best Value x < $600 ex. Dive Rite, Deep 6, DGX, HOG, etc.

First Regulator Set: Best Value x < $600?

• Dive Rite XT

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Deep 6

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • DGX (Deep 6)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • HOG

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Scuba Pro (MK2 EVO w/R195)

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Other

Votes: 10 14.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once rebuilt (by a qualified, caring tech) they're as, or even BETTER then new, regardless of what they look like. That set comes with an octo too, granted, it’s not matched, but my wife dives a mis-matched set and it works fine…

Lastly, the other reason I like buying used… you let the original owner eat the depreciation when they bought their item new. If you buy that set for $195 (maybe even less if you’re asked nicely) I bet you could always sell if for close to what you paid… try doing that with any other set of regulators you buy new…

BTW, I have no horse in this race, I’m not selling those regulators…

All that aside, you have to be happy with what you buy… If I had to pick from the list you posed above I would go for the Deep6 and buy directly from their website…

Just to throw some more basic info at you... with regulators try to buy a metal body one if possible. The compressed air in your tank is super dry, and the will give you cotton mouth when diving. With metal some moisture from your exhale condenses and makes your inhale slightly moist. At least I think that’s how it works… bottom line they’re more comfortable to dive IMO…

Speaking about comfort, buy a Aqua Lung Comfo-bite mouth piece if you’re having ANY discomfort with a standard mouth piece. They’re only $10… maybe the best $10 I’ve spent on this hobby.

If you end up not servicing your regs look at Air Tech as an option for service (you can do a google search on them). All they do is rebuild regs…

Speaking of rebuilding/ service for regulators... there's some debate on how often you really need to rebuild your regulators, do some research on that and come up with your own opinion…

^^These are just random thoughts, by a relatively new diver….

-snip- Deep Six will sell you the kits and so can any HOG dealer. -snip-
@Jim Lapenta Are the service kits all interchangeable between the Hog D1 & D3, DGX/D6, and D6 Signatures?

While my son and I currently dive D1s, I forsee a time where additional regs will be needed. It would be nice to stick with ones that are service-parts compatible.

just remember there are things that can and things that should. I would not recommend swapping parts kits if you can avoid it, especially on the HP seats and diaphragms.

Also of note, all HOG regs and I imagine the DGX regs have a design error on the turret that hasn't been corrected yet which causes them to spit DIN o-rings out like nobodies business. The D6 Signatures have corrected this, but I know when I had D1 and D2's from HOG it was a problem from day 1, and several buddies with D3's have that problem as well.

see discussion of the issue here
Deep 6 DIN regulators

Also of note, all HOG regs and I imagine the DGX regs have a design error on the turret that hasn't been corrected yet which causes them to spit DIN o-rings out like nobodies business. The D6 Signatures have corrected this, but I know when I had D1 and D2's from HOG it was a problem from day 1, and several buddies with D3's have that problem as well.

see discussion of the issue here
Deep 6 DIN regulators

On the Turret? ....on the DIN to valve seal, I have seen this as a minor issue on a couple D1, But it is a serious problem on the D3 regs. They spit out the o-ring almost every time. I am thinking about trying the white (not sure if material) DIN oring like Dive Rite uses. They seem to be more rigid than the viton 90d and might stay in place better.

Scuba Force, great quality, affordable,spare parts are always in stock.

@Caveeagle read the thread that I linked. Changing the o-ring won't do anything. It's what the o-ring seats into that's an issue. Call Deep6 and see if you can buy the parts from them to fix your D3's before you start trying to find different din o-rings

my 2 cents....
All my regs were bought used (Zeagle) - learned to service them and my GF's ScubaPros myself. Nothing magical about servicing them but I find diaphragms easier than pistons and the diaphragms require less 'special' tooling for their needed service. Sourcing parts kits can be an issue but most kits are out there. With that in mind, IF I decided on buying a new reg, the Deep6 signature would be at the top of my list. There's a good bit of benefit from being the 1st and only owner - you are the one that is responsible for their care and feeding and when it does come time to service them - you'll know just how well you've been treating them. My post-dive routine changed a great bit from what I thought was sufficient. The quick rinse and done isn't going to cut it - especially on a used reg set once you see the green crusty verdigris on parts that are missing their plating from previous abuse/neglect. If you're lucky enough to get a titanium set, you can relax a bit but I'm not that wealthy and at <$600, you aren't either. Truthfully, I doubt most people would be able to tell the difference in breathing on any of the top branded regs that are tuned correctly so it really just comes down to price and the availability of parts.

Back
Top Bottom