Regulators: Best Value x < $600 ex. Dive Rite, Deep 6, DGX, HOG, etc.

First Regulator Set: Best Value x < $600?

• Dive Rite XT

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Deep 6

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • DGX (Deep 6)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • HOG

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Scuba Pro (MK2 EVO w/R195)

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Other

Votes: 10 14.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup. I saw that one. I meant that going with two Z2 second stages would exceed my budget.

Skip a couple of meals and get the best :)

Skip a couple of meals and get the best :)

Nope. It's a slippery slope. I'm not trying to invite requirements and price creep this early in the game.:D

Edit: At this point...that's $100 or so that I can put towards a good BC.

Argggh, don't let the D6 cult suck you in! Just kidding, I did my research and, being one to over research everything, had spreadsheets to compare costs, read countless reviews, and scoured the intrawebs for any details I could find. In the end, I ended up going with the Deep6 signatures. I have been itching SO bad to get them in the water but just haven't had the chance yet. However, what sold me was the fact that they are very customer service oriented, the price point for the features was good, the recommended service intervals were longer than many competitors, and they are user serviceable.

A couple of points that weren't mentioned here but can be found on their website. One, if you're interested in serviceability, go to their site and download the manual. Also, if you opt to have them service them you are locked into the costs charged the year they were bought.

In the end, I did go above my budget on them but then again I went ahead and added the SPG as well as their hard case. And, not that I minded assembling anything but when you purchase from them they'll put it all together for you.

This is about the time of year that dive shops sell their rental stuff. I bought 2 MK25evo/s600 last year from Beaver Divers for far far less the $600. One set had about 50 dives on it and had been serviced before it was sent out. The other was literally like brand new.

I know you were wanting new, but the difference from our entry level HOG/EDGE regs is noticeable.

Someone said, buy once , cry once...there is some truth to that.

Good luck,
Jay

This is about the time of year that dive shops sell their rental stuff. I bought 2 MK25evo/s600 last year from Beaver Divers for far far less the $600. One set had about 50 dives on it and had been serviced before it was sent out. The other was literally like brand new.

I know you were wanting new, but the difference from our entry level HOG/EDGE regs is noticeable.

Someone said, buy once , cry once...there is some truth to that.

Good luck,
Jay

I bet. I'm looking at the HOG D3 with Zenith second stages, not the base model ( EDGE, D1, or D2) . Just using one for a buddy breathing drill, they seeemed pretty solid.

Will give a report in a couple days. I'll get to dive a D3 w/ Zenith 2nds this weekend. Looking forward to it.

Thanks Jay.:cheers:

@Barnaby'sDad the Deep6 Signature is the evolution of the HOG D3 btw. Took the same base design, improved the coatings and soft parts, did an upgrade to the poppet on the second stage to make it breathe smoother, and fixed the spitting out DIN o-ring issues. Since the Deep6 regs are cheaper, also include the first parts kit *which is worth about $70*, it's really a no brainer.
No way I could in good conscience recommend a HOG regulator at this point. Nothing against them, but when they're more expensive and not as good, they are no longer a good value

I think that you mean "less expensive" not "cheaper." "Cheap isn't good.

correct, there is nothing cheap about the Deep6 regs. The coatings and soft parts are superior to most all brands on the market, and the machining is on par with just about everyone as well. Couple outliers in brands like Atomic and Poseidon that go stupid over the top, but I'd argue that their machining is on par with Apeks/Aqualung/Mares, etc

To add to Deep6gear signature, I have down to 70 feet max, and they breath easy.
I also had a LDS do some work on my reg and although they made their comments, they could service them!
I use the second stage as an octo as well.
I like the idea of having a sold reg as my back up (I use primary donate by the way)

Back
Top Bottom