Regulators for travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drk5036

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

Recently, I purchased my first set of regulators, DiveRite XT1. Everything has been good with them, but I was shocked by how heavy the whole setup combined is! Given I haven't interacted with many regulators, is this the norm, or is this gear heavier than others?

My girlfriend and dive buddy has all of her own gear, except regulators, so I've been trying to find out how to proceed. We live in Asia, and do almost all of our diving by traveling, so something that's travel friendly is better. Is there anything that fits the bill? Should I just line up a Deep6 setup to purchase next time I'm back in the states? Should I just get another DiveRite set for ease of maintenance?

Thanks for your help.

XT1's are about normal for weight. They're on the heavier side being a swivel turret compared to something like a Scubapro MK2, but they're definitely within the normal range of regulators.
Deep6 will be about the same as the XT1 weight wise.

Just stick the regs in your carryon so you don't have to worry that much about the weight. There are dedicated travel regs from various manufacturers out there that you can look at. Titanium series from Atomic and Scubapro, composite series from Apeks, and then just generally light regulators like a Poseidon Xstream.

I use an Atomic titanium for travel many Asian carriers like to weigh carry on’s so the titanium helps. The Zeagle F8 is not to heavy and i’ve Recently been considering using it for warm water.

If you want light weight and excellent warm water performance, the aqualung mikron is tops. I recently switched off between a mikron and the top of the legend lx and there was no difference in breathing performance that I could tell.

The Mikron is advertised as a travel regulator so it's lighter and smaller - might be good for the g/f. Also worldwide Aqualung has a strong dealer network should you need support.

I believe the Titanium Atomics (T3) are almost as light just triple the cost. Their Z3 (Zirconium/Brass) is not much heavier and 1/2 the cost, their ST1 (Stainless) the heaviest IIRC.

Do you work on regs? You might be if you buy the Deep6 - their model encourages that. They also provide a service kit should you have a local tech who will work on them. I asked my 4 go to shops, 2 said no (insurance) one said maybe and one said yes but they're a Deep6 stocking location - YMMV.

Check the mfr's websites most list the weights. Atomic has all their models on one spec. page.

I dive Atomics - they're excellent breathers. 2 means 2 year service interval (B2, Z2 etc) 3 is 3year, They have a patented seat saver orifice in their seconds that reduces seat cutting/imprinting when stored.

<< I notice that you are a college professor from Sapporo Japan. Do you know a long lost friend of mine Tetsu Taguchi from Sapporo ? If you don't know him you should meet him.

He was very active in the pioneering days of Japanese recreational diving. He translated the LA Co UW instruction manual - Underwater Recreation - the very first instruction manual, published in 1954 in to Japanese

He published two very complete full color fish identification books .
Field guide #2 Sea fishes of Japan (260 pages Paper back)
Field guide # 13 Sea fishes of the world (384 pages paper back)
( I have all three inscribed to me and treasure them )

It has been some years since we corresponded. I would like to reconnect

Sam Miller, 111 >>>>>

I used to have a dedicated travel set but sold it years ago. Most of it was a compromise in one way or another. I now dive overseas what I dive locally. If weight is an issue I leave other stuff behind. I've even gone on holiday with nothing in my bag other than dive gear. I bought additional clothing, toiletries etc there. I'd rather dive gear I use all the time, know well and trust beyond doubt.

For example, I used to travel with shorter, lighter fins but this bit me in the ass more than once, I now only take my usual fins, yes they are longer, heavier and harder to pack, but I'm more concerned with in water pleasure than cutting weight if it's at all possible.

The weight difference between "most" regs makes little difference overall and I think is negligible in the scheme of things.

Having regs that you can either service yourself or get serviced at the drop of a hat anywhere is far more important I think.

Agree w/ @buddhasummer. I started with an Aqua Lung Legend LX and didn't really travel much. It's great in cold water locally. Now I'm pretty much exclusively diving while traveling and never locally, and I still travel with it. I pack around my dive gear. You really don't need that much to go on a dive vacation, even for a month. As an example..4 shirts, 4 bottoms...That's 16 outfit combinations. :) If you get clothing that doesn't need to be washed often (I love wool, even in scorching hot weather or humid weather!), or get clothing that you can wash and hang dry overnight or within hours, that really helps.

Use what you have.

If you care to listen to my underwear math...I can also explain that one to you too. :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom