Regulators - Ice and Tropical Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malarky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking to get my first sidemount reg set.

I plan to dive wrecks in Norway in the winter, dive Antarctica in the summer as well use the regs in tropical locations for wreck dives.

What are the go-to options? Wondering how much is hype when considering the Atomic M1 or Apeks MTX-R. Would I be good with a HOG or Deep Six set and not suffer from frozen regs?

edit: Tecline R2 and Beauchat speak to me as well.

I've read up on what not to do (breathe in the reg above the water) and am ready for the adventure. Getting geared up is the hard part.

Last edited:
I ice dive win my HOG without any issues.
You would definitely be fine with that. Or deep6.

I used my HOG in the tropic too. No issue to go from one to the other.

I don’t know the other regs you mentioned so I can’t comment

I think if it works in cold water, it will work in warm water. One thing to consider is if you need to have it serviced or repaired, will you be able to in all the locations you plan on going to. Maybe you won't need this in say the Caribbean. I usually test my gear out locally or at least in the pool before I head for the Caribbean. Out of the regulators you listed, my shop sells and services the Atomic and Hog regulators. I like some of the features of the Atomic and they just appeal to me. I was actually considering Atomic or ScubaPro but liked some of the features of the Atomic regulators. My shop was thinking the ScubaPro because i could get it serviced at other places I tend to vacation.

I went with the B2 regulator with the optional freeze protection for my sidemount set up based on what the shop owner told me and what I read on here. I don't plan on going beyond 40% oxygen and I like the fact it comes with a comfort swivel. Talking to my shop owner, all the Atomic regulators are pretty similar with just difference in what metal they use on the first and second stage. I'd think the M1 will be just as good.

I was thinking about going for the ST1 but it was just a little too expensive.

I too can get the Atomic serviced locally. I have no qualms with sending the Deep Six in for service. Really my concern is with showing up to the ice dive site and not being appropriately equipped. Would any diaphragm driven, environmentally sealed unit work?

Cursory research indicates metal in the second stage has a lower rate of freezing compared to plastics. I don't understand the science but the internet tells me so, sigh...

You cannot go wrong with a hog or deep6.
They are made for harsh environment.
Plus why sending them away when you can service them yourself?

Cursory research indicates metal in the second stage has a lower rate of freezing compared to plastics. I don't understand the science but the internet tells me so, sigh...

Metal conducts heat from the water better than plastic does.

@Malarky my understand is...

When the air is flowing out of a tank and through the regulators it is cold. Just like when you take a really cold can of beer or glass of ice water from the fridge into warm air, you will see water form on the container. If you breath on a regulator then the flowing air will make the regulator cold. This can attract moisture. Entering the cold water will cause the moisture to freeze. If you have metal parts in the regulators, they will tend to act as a heat sink and prevent the regulator from moistening up. Additionally, if the first stage is environmentally seal, i.e. not full of air, then it is also not going to moisten up.

There are two parts to a first stage regulator. The part air from the tank goes through and parts exposed to air outside. Because parts are exposed to ambient air, they are also exposed to moisture. If we fill those spaces with something then those parts are no longer exposed to ambient air or moisture. This is why that will prevent the first stage from freezing and free flowing. The parts which are exposed to air in the tank should not freeze because the air in the tank should have a super low moisture content.

An environmentally sealed first stage however isn't going to help the second stage. Having a metal second stage would help. Nothing will guarantee no free flow but this will greatly reduce the chance.

When gas is released from under pressure it cools. This might cool your second stage enough to freeze the moisture from your breath. Your breath's moisture is there regardless and will condense on any cool surface. A metal air barrel, or better a fully metal regulator, in contact with, even very cold, water will draw heat from the water fast enough to prevent cooling your regulator too much to freeze your exhaled breath's moisture. When out of the water, air around you does not transmit heat as well as water does, so when your reg is cold, and you breath from it, it can not draw heat from the outside air fast enough to prevent dropping in temperature and thus freezing the moisture in your exhaled breath. If that freezing gets to the valve parts you have a free flow (or conceivably a frozen shut valve).

A separate risk is moisture in your breathing gas, which your fill station should reduce as much as possible.

For diaphragm vs piston first stages, I believe it is partly about the parts that matter being inside and dry, vs outside and subject to being immobilized by ice.

Last edited:
Thank you for the responses. Saving some coin with Deep Six or HOG (and self service) will go a long way towards more gear. Feeding the addiction!

It seems you are close to the Georgia Location of Deep 6, so are you going to take their reg service class? Just because your far flung locations do recommend self service ability as the most reliable option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom