Regulators - Ice and Tropical Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems you are close to the Georgia Location of Deep 6, so are you going to take their reg service class? Just because your far flung locations do recommend self service ability as the most reliable option.

I like the way you think. Forsyth is a bit of a haul but is on the way to Florida cave country. So yeah, I can swing it!

A test of the best cold water regulator was done, the test was deep and with high air consumption which are the worst scenarios.

The winner was the full metal ( very heavy ) Mares regulator Abyss 52 . by that time Apex MTX was not in the market, as well not the Mares XR75 which is also a real full metal body.

75XR DR Full Tek Set

http://www.scubaregulatorhq.com/cold-water/the-best-cold-water-regulators/

Above a video that explains the principles of Mares regulators

The video documentary of the regulator test I can't find it

Last edited:
I like the way you think. Forsyth is a bit of a haul but is on the way to Florida cave country. So yeah, I can swing it!

HOG is also in Georgia, Macon to be exact..

Forsyth is a bit of a haul but is on the way to Florida cave country.

I am in Valdosta (at the moment).

I've used MR22's in Canada ice diving, & in Carribean etc with enviro kit for 20 years.

i am using apex XTX50's and DST's because they are what i started with and cover all the bases. i am looking at the Deep6 for pricing, serviceability, and quality and because i have heard nothing but good things.

I heard Deep 6 was flying a service guy to Toronto to offer a deep 6 regulator self-servicing class. Possibly too far for you from Manitoba, but Dang! They are promoting a healthy self reliance in my opinion.
For this reason, I am also looking into Deep 6 regs as my family’s first regs, and researching how we can set them up for different types of diving.

If you want bulletproof under-ice performance - one solid choice - Poseidon XStream

Capture.JPG

• 200 m / 656 ft approval Norwegian Norsok U101 standard
• Approved to cold water standard, EN250
• Approved for use under ice down to -1,6 °C / 29.12 °F without CWD kit
• Unique internal Thermo Dynamic Anti-freeze system (TDA)
• 5 LP and 2 HP-ports

They're also a premium warm water reg - my Jetstream breathes as good as my Atomic T2 at depth for about 1/2 the money (2018 dollars). And it's about 3 decades older.

Deep6 is the current reg darling here but I doubt it can match the cold water performance of the Poseidon. You will pay more for it.

Last edited:
We run with Poseidon Xstreams for our back gas and Cyclon second stages on Xstream 1st stages for our stage / deco regs diving the Great Lakes and St Lawrence. It has been a bullet proof combo in terms of reliability in cold water diving for us for many years. They breathe nicely when we take trips to warm water destinations too :)

Back
Top Bottom