[regulators] Proton vs. Abyss and 42 vs. 32 vs. 22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a V42 + proton metal (2007 models) and it's absolutely wonderful... I can understand the wife liking it... also, it's great to take along on holiday due to the weight. I purchased it over a MR32 because I read a lot of people having some small issues with it, and it was a policy to replace a part with a part of the MR22 during service...

anyway, I recommend the V42!

Hi all,

I'm necro-ing this thread because I'm shopping for my first reg, and I'm considering buying the Mares Carbon 42 or the Mares Prestige 32 NTT. I can get the Carbon 42 for ~$400 and I would need to buy an octopus seperately, or I could have the 32 NTT for $400, octo included.

These models have both been around for quite some time now. What would you advise?

ok the 32 first stage, I think the prestige only was offered in the MR32 which is from what I understand is the same as the MR22 with a little more brass shaved off to make it lighter, great reg I have an older version v32 this reg has a odd size primary port of 1/2" instead of 3/8" the prestige is a plastic and this makes it less of a cold water reg, the mr42 is a lot smaller than the mr32 or 22, the 42 has standard 3/8" primary port. the carbon is in theory an ideal material for cold water, ie good thermal properties I have only been down to 44 in a carbon reg but was flawless. carbon is stronger than plastic if you want to see a size difference of the three first stages I can post a pick with all.

at mares there are two points :

- V frst stage series have conical seat and piston inside ( problems with sealing )
- MR-T frst stage series have flat seat and piston inside (better than V )

-42 first stage series is that have prepaired ''DRY CHAMBER'' CWD kit (cold water kit) , previous are besed on ''OIL CHAMBER '' CWD kit

I have V16 CSV upgraded on MR32 T ..... and both proton metall 2'nd stages for single.

I think at Mares is problem to change outer look far too much every year... base is the same , physic is the same ... Large membrane on 2'nd stage - easier breathing ; simple as bean -no science , carbon thermall bull**** , chrome look , strange hose routing ....

Thats's why mares losing respect at serious divers - and price ( look price difference between 3 years old for instance apeks or scubapro .vs. mares at ebay !)

ok the 32 first stage, I think the prestige only was offered in the MR32 which is from what I understand is the same as the MR22 with a little more brass shaved off to make it lighter, great reg I have an older version v32 this reg has a odd size primary port of 1/2" instead of 3/8" the prestige is a plastic and this makes it less of a cold water reg, the mr42 is a lot smaller than the mr32 or 22, the 42 has standard 3/8" primary port. the carbon is in theory an ideal material for cold water, ie good thermal properties I have only been down to 44 in a carbon reg but was flawless. carbon is stronger than plastic if you want to see a size difference of the three first stages I can post a pick with all.

It would be helpful to see them next to each other for size reference, as long as it's not a hassle.

I will take some this evening and post them.

at mares there are two points :

- V frst stage series have conical seat and piston inside ( problems with sealing )
- MR-T frst stage series have flat seat and piston inside (better than V )

-42 first stage series is that have prepaired ''DRY CHAMBER'' CWD kit (cold water kit) , previous are besed on ''OIL CHAMBER '' CWD kit

I have V16 CSV upgraded on MR32 T ..... and both proton metall 2'nd stages for single.

I think at Mares is problem to change outer look far too much every year... base is the same , physic is the same ... Large membrane on 2'nd stage - easier breathing ; simple as bean -no science , carbon thermall bull**** , chrome look , strange hose routing ....

Thats's why mares losing respect at serious divers - and price ( look price difference between 3 years old for instance apeks or scubapro .vs. mares at ebay !)

Could you please give me some examples of apeks or scubapro regs that have better value/peformance than mares 42 or 32 regs?

pics didn't turn out to good I will do them tomorrow with good light.
and I have a scubapro mk19 s600 with s600 octo and the performance is not any better and when purged out of water will stick open(free flow) often if not always. my kid likes them otherwise they would be for sale.

Ok pics the first stage's left to right v32(same size as mr32) middle is mr42, and right is the mr22. all have the dry cold water kits.

20130612_145334.jpg20130612_145354.jpg

Last edited:
my ''oil CWD kit '' looks so (curently selling it ;-) ))

MARES-MR32TT---CWD---2xPROTON-METAL-MANOMETER_509b7cfe6106d.jpg

Could you please give me some examples of apeks or scubapro regs that have better value/peformance than mares 42 or 32 regs?

actual I have but I think i have it on home computer - ANSTI diagram from mares and some apeks (official print from machine ) ....at that time i was reading from GUE manuals what is such difference

between them . One difference that stand out is size and material of membrane at 2'nd stages ( bigger is better and more sensitive ( elastic but also rigid at the same time is better)) - thats why also at

apeks serious divers loves more older models like ATX oreven CTX over XTX or other new models .... same problem at scubapro series G250 is legend . At scubapro wanted new look and modell become

GV250 then , discontinued modell . Instantly Halcyon model awake them from the dead under name ''Hallo' and ''Aura'' with some minor facelift.

Also problem test performed in different forums , magazines now shows performance of regulators not in diagram form but in subjective numeric ratings - see difference

-2012 Best Regulators | Scuba Diving Magazine

-2008 Gear / Accessories | Scuba Diving Magazine

-2006 15 Regulators on test - Divernet

Point is also not just to read numeric WOB (work of breathing ) from test it is important to see diagram because flat thin square and small circle can simply have same surface area on diagram( that is WOB)

,but performance is like night and day

http://www.xray-mag.com/pdfs/articles/Technique_Regulators_15.pdf

apeks profiles are here http://www.apeks.co.uk/downloads/XTX_Brochure.pdf

Last edited:
I think you are confusing work of breathing with inhaled pressure here are the numbers for the carbon I cant find all the numbers for other brands but these numbers vary from one tuning to the next. and while a machine can measure it I doubt any of us can feel the difference between .7 j/l and .9j/l

Carbon 42​
inhale pressure = 10.02
mbar inhale pos pressure = 2.40
mbar exhale pressure = 7.11
mbar ext work of breathing = 0.66 J/l
inhale work = 0.26 J/l
pos inhale work = 0.03 J/l
exhale work = 0.40 J/l
pressure - volume diagram at depth of:​
50.2 msw (164.7 fsw)

Last edited:

Back