[regulators] Proton vs. Abyss and 42 vs. 32 vs. 22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw some information presented in this way in a document comparing Mares regs. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the terminology (mbarinhale pos pressure, pos inhale work, etc). Is there a source you can recommend that would help me interpret these stats so I can understand what the numbers mean?

they are pressure readings during the different stages of the breathing cycle. and as far as good deals go if you are really thinking about getting the carbon that great deal has 1 left so you might want to jump on it.

they are pressure readings during the different stages of the breathing cycle. and as far as good deals go if you are really thinking about getting the carbon that great deal has 1 left so you might want to jump on it.

Ok, so are lower numbers or higher numbers better?

Yes, I am considering it, but an LDS in my area is going out of business and I dont want to buy until I've had a chance to go there.

Looks like I should make it over there tomorrow afternoon, so if nothing good pans out there I'll go with the carbon.

Last edited:
you want a lower work of breathing number, but honestly anything under 1 and I doubt you can tell the difference.

Ok, I went for it and picked up the carbon 42 for $390. Will the proton ice extreme octo work with the 42t first stage? I thought I read someone mentioning that it required a different size hose port.

it will work fine with it. in fact the proton was offered with the mr42. as far as octos go all the modern octos are 3/8" fittings to the first stage. you will like the carbon its a great reg.

I just wish I could have gotten it DIN, as I'm switching over to steel tanks for better buoyancy characteristics and longer bottom times. If I dive HP 100's or 120's, but only get them filled to 3500 (this is more than enough air for me), is it worth it to have the reg converted to DIN and get an adaptor for switching back to yoke (~$150 with parts and labour from my LDS), or should I just use steel tanks with yoke valves?

---------- Post added June 19th, 2013 at 07:39 PM ----------

Is there much of a difference between the proton ice and the proton ice extreme? I'll get one or the other for my octo.

Back
Top Bottom