Rehabbing an older wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have some going on 30 yeas... Haven't replaced one yet except for "want".. Does it show "dry rot" or cracking/crazing?

Hose looks fine and it's the length I like (16").

Waiting to order from DGX to see if Dive Rite will send me a replacement OPV (just sent off email).

Oh, and does anyone have any comments on this model of wing itself?

If DR sends an replacement OPV for a decade-old wing, that is amazing! Dive Rite is known for customer service so it never hurts to ask, certainly, but I think of OPVs / inflators etc as wear items like windshield wiper blades.

Waiting to order from DGX to see if Dive Rite will send me a replacement OPV (just sent off email).

If DR sends an replacement OPV for a decade-old wing, that is amazing! Dive Rite is known for customer service so it never hurts to ask, certainly, but I think of OPVs / inflators etc as wear items like windshield wiper blades.

A new one is only $15, but hey, can't hurt to ask. It's a little weird looking, so I'd replace it anyway.

It’s not like something broke and I’m asking for a replacement. There was a recall, which to me is a bit different. I was honest that I was given the wing by the original owner.

Great thread! I love seeing older gear being refurbished.

Lobo

I would check to make sure the plastic male part that the elbow screws onto is not cracked and broken.

I would check to make sure the plastic male part that the elbow screws onto is not cracked and broken.

It looks fine.

You don't need a new OPV... it should just be the spring. I would just repalce the inflator mech. If the BC holds reasonably tight for 6 hours, any tiny leak or puncture is not something you will notice in the water. Take apart the OPV and examine the spring, if it has any weakness or corrosion, it is smart to replace. If the spring breaks the BC will hold no air, a lot more serious than a pin hole or tiny leak somewhere. Definitely replace all zip ties. The hose should be good if it looks good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom