Relief Zipper Leaking - But Can't Figure Out Where (photos Attached)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

industrious95

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Starting last May, I began to get very wet from the waist down. (45 min dives to 80/90 ft). After an entire season of carrying three sets of underwear on the boat with me, I think it's time to fix the problem.

I leak tested the suit yesterday with some baby shampoo and found it was leaking at 3 of the corners of the seam of the relief zipper. Looking inside the suit, the seams where the zipper are glued to the suit are nice and tight.

leaks_relief.png

I'm guessing that water is finding a way in through the ends of the zipper? Any thoughts on how to prevent that? Or is it time for another trip back to DUI?

Suit is a 25 yr old DUI Norseman. I know, at that age it doesn't owe me anything but it fits like a glove. The relief zipper has about 250 dives on it.

Thanks in advance.

When you say that you tested and detected leaks at those three corners, did you actually see bubbles from the soap there? If you did, then that doesn't sound like the zipper is leaking. I would dry gooping some Aquaseal or similar around the inside seam and then test it again.

Thanks Stoo. Yes, I saw bubbles in those three corners. Guess some Aquaseal around the inside seam wouldn't hurt, better than spending $350 for a new zipper.

NO, NO, NO, not Aquaseal. Crap never comes off and hardens.
Several layers of plain old neoprene cement around the inside seam, outside too if you want, should do it. That can be removed.
Heat seal tape would probably work also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom