Relief zipper on wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

12th Man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After working in a dive shop for a short time and cleaning wetsuits after folks got done diving. The smell of pee was awful. Since then I've refused to pee in my own wetsuit. I'll just hold it. Has anyone ever had a relief zipper added to their wetsuit? If so, was it worth it, who did the work and how much was it.

As always thanks!

You could just install a P-valve....................or buy a box of Huggies.

Options are generally P-Valve, relief zipper, or better washing. Steve Gamble at D3 is the only one I’d recommend unless you’re keen to DIY.
After working in a dive shop for a short time and cleaning wetsuits after folks got done diving. The smell of pee was awful. Since then I've refused to pee in my own wetsuit. I'll just hold it. Has anyone ever had a relief zipper added to their wetsuit? If so, was it worth it, who did the work and how much was it.

As always thanks!

I don't have one on a wetsuit but I have one on a drysuit for whitewater kayaking, it works well but I am not sure I would want it on a wetsuit.

I think better than a relief zipper would be to install a pee-valve on the wetsuit inner thigh similar to that of a drysuit.

-Z

(Edit: 3 of us typing the same general message at the same time :cheers:)

You can do it DIY if you know your business.

I’m fortunate enough to live near Wetwear, a custom suit maker and they’ve been including relief zips in all of the wetsuits that I’ve ordered from them for a few decades now.

I don’t know if they’ll work on other makers suits, and cost of shipping, labor costs, and wait time may not be worth your while.

Other than that, a skilled seamstress with a modest understanding of the materials involved, or perhaps a capable tech at a LDS might be able to do the job for you.

Hydrate. One reason for foul urine odor is dehydration. I’d put money on it that the average person whose wetsuit reeks of piss after a dive is dehydrated. That and/or they relieved themselves at the tail end of the dive .

Myths and Misconceptions About Peeing in Your Wetsuit

Here’s one more reason to ensure you drink enough water. When the body is dehydrated, urine has a stronger odor and color. So do yourself (and everyone else on the boat) a favor and stay hydrated!

I stay well hydrated, but eat a lot of asparagus. Relief zips have served me well.

A front zip with a relief zipper would be nice. Flush quickly so you aren’t doing the scuba equivalent of a Bear Grylls (in this case...floating around in your own piss).

@RayfromTX had one installed in his wetsuit, and was pretty happy with it, see his posts in this thread. Had the work done by Terrapin Wet Suits, which is near San Antonio. I intended to do the same but never got around to it. Whenever travel to warm water is possible, I'll probably send it off to have the work done.

Back
Top Bottom