• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Remember my asking to get a flu shot last fall?

Discussion in 'Covid and pandemic discussions' started by DandyDon, Mar 30, 2021.

1. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I nag friends and family every year about getting flu shots.

"Workers who received a flu vaccine, the researchers found, were 39 percent less likely to test positive for the coronavirus as of June 1, 2020."
    A Flu Shot Might Reduce Coronavirus Infections, Early Research Suggests

"COVID patients who had not received a flu vaccine within the last year had 2.4 times greater odds of being hospitalized and 3.3 times greater chance of being transferred to the ICU,"
    Flu Shot May Shield You From Severe COVID

I guess the thread title was silly, but I'm thinking that some longtimers here saw my thread last fall and said "There's crazy Don again telling us to get shots."

2. Silt Life

Silt Life Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    I heard smoking does too.......

3. Steelyeyes

Steelyeyes Contributor

I got mine. It was free and didn't hurt much.

DandyDon likes this.
  4. DandyDon

Pushups immediately after, then and there, always help prevent soreness.

Johnoly likes this.
  5. CathyE

CathyE Contributor

I have had a flu shot every year for about 25 years. Even when there is not a good match I don’t get sick. There is a down side, I end up taking care of everyone else at one time or another. I think this year I will fake the flu so that I get some TLC. :)

Ana, Bob DBF, Bubblesong and 6 others like this.
  6. Esprise Me

Esprise Me Kelp forest dweller ScubaBoard Supporter

Interesting! A physician family friend sent us all some preliminary reports last summer suggesting those who had gotten the MMR vaccine within the last several years might have better resistance to COVID, which could help explain why children seemed to be less vulnerable than one would expect. I had gotten my MMR shot as a little kid but figured there was no harm in getting a booster, even if I had to pay out of pocket. I wonder if there's some more broadly applicable principle here, along the lines of vaccines revving up your immune system and helping protect against even unrelated illnesses.

7. DandyDon

How about that. My PA thought it odd that I wanted a measles vaccination a couple of years ago, but I never had the virus or the jab, and didn't want to risk picking up the bug on a trip to Mexico. My Moderna vaccs didn't bother me at all, while my daughter who had had Covid got a pretty bad hangover from the second vaccinations. Isolated incidents, but they may fit patterns.

Esprise Me likes this.
  8. Lorenzoid

Lorenzoid ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I last had the flu when I was 37 or so--no big deal, young and healthy, etc.--and I didn't bother with a flu shot until I got into my 50s, when I began a habit of getting one every year. At the same time, I became obsessive about frequent hand washing and staying out of crowded public places during flu season. Maybe adjusting my habits as I aged was a good idea for multiple reasons.

RyanT and DandyDon like this.
  9. kelemvor

kelemvor Big Fleshy Monster ScubaBoard Supporter

I remember. Read the thread, then the wife and I went to get our flu shots the next day! Thanks for reminding me.

She's also had her second Pfizer plague shot, I get my first plague shot next Monday. Next week, shots can be had by anyone in FL 18 and up so my son and daughter can finally register. Things are looking up.

DBPacific, Esprise Me and DandyDon like this.
  10. DandyDon

Texas started 16 and up this week which is great as the younger seem less careful so are probably spreading Covid more, but I wonder if those unmasked wonders will bother getting the jabs?

Esprise Me likes this.