Remember this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'd forgotten about this reg. I always thought they were kinda cool but just one more thing to go wrong so I never bought one. Saw this on Ebay guy is asking $200.00!! I don't think it cost that much with the second stage back in the day.
s-l225Q5J0N8Y9.jpg

Yup, here's mine. A tad thrashed after all these years, but servicable. "Yoke-screw-less." :)

SA4ttf.jpg

AGYPAN.jpg

Remember these Scubapro tank valves?

IbjBsU.jpg

Interesting enough, pneumatic yokes are still used with fill stations.

Oh, and I have (had - I might have recently given it to someone for their collection) that valve...

Yes, I do have a Mk-6 in my collection and we had them for sale at Diver Service Center. I never sold one and actually never new anyone that actually dove one.

I am sure the owner (Alberto) of DSC sold some of them at some point. He didn't care if he sold ice to an Eskimo.

I also have the two pneumatic tank pressure checkers that Scubapro sold in that time period. One had the same pneumatic yoke shown in that Mk-6.

The other one was the type that the spring kept the yoke open and the user placed tank checker in front of the air supply and open the valve... "slowly". It didn't matter how slow you tried to open the valve that thing will slam closed on that valve. Anything caught on the back of the yoke would be squashed to nothing. Even the chrome on the back of some valves started break-off from the impact.

Yeah, I am glad I now have one of those valves in my collection. They are definitely another weird piece.

I think that is where my valve went, didn't it?

Hey, wait a minute, Luis got my valve too.... Now I'm concerned there is something kinky going on over at Luis' place. :)

Ok, I don't think I have two of them, but I am going to have to check. Maybe I did end up with two of them, but I cant remember how it all happened.

I know one is on display. If I ended up with a second one, I am not sure where it is. :confused:

1974 Catalog Page17
Last catalog which Mark IV appeared
( 46 years ago ! (Time flies )

SCUBA Pro Mk VI -- Automatic Self Locking Yoke
Life time one owner guarantee of all parts
$118.25
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Page 23
Pneumatic Pressure Gauge
Pt # 133 Tank Pressure gauge.....$20,00
Pt # 133-2 filler attachment …. ,,,.$18.00
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For a period of over 10 years I was a credentialed well known Professional Diving consultant expert diving witness
I was also on retainer to Impact General on all legal maters related to diving equipment and accidents and often testified in a court of law. as required.

One interesting Impact General case involved in was:

Fienberg vs SCUBA Pro, US Divers Aquatic Center etal (1982= 38 years ago}

All involved were personal friends
I called Dick Bonin at SCUBA Pro-== He understood & had ample insurance coverage
I met with John Cronin US Divers== Not happy but do what you are contracted to do
Met with my best friend at the Aquatic Center (AC) Ron Merker who was very up set as only Ron could be
(Ron was Dr. Bills basic instructor but " He didn't learn anything from Ron" )

The tragedy involved Dr, Fienberg a social friend of Cronin.
Cronin had sold Fienberg a PFV "out the back door" from US Divers
A Mark VI purchased used but overhaled from the AC

The victim went diving at the then new Catalina dive park with his daughter -- all was well until the end of the dive.

The scenario as I presented was was like this:
He began his assent - became entangled in kelp-- struggled
He yanked on his PFV CO2 inflator -- didn't fire -didn't inflate
His Mark VI disengaged from the tank
He lost his life in a few feet of water entangled in kelp'

His body was recovered by life guards

The equipment was lab & field tested by the late Dr Glen Egstrom of UCLA--
(Also personal friends of Bonin, Cronin & Merker)

Dr Egstrom testing disclosed
1) The CO2 had been factory installed with the mechanism in the fired position
2) The SCUBA PRO SPG reading was inaccurate by 200 + PSI
3) The Mark VI disengaged with excessive breathing demands and low pressure
3) The Mark VI had not been overhauled - and was in need of over haul

The court ruled in favor of the plaintiff in the amount of $250,000.00
Not what I and others expected with the loss of a Doctors life due to faulty equipment.
'
SDM 111 .

@Akimbo
@Ken Kurtis
@Scuba Lawyer
@Luis H

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-20_6-57-50.png
    upload_2020-4-20_6-57-50.png
    119.8 KB · Views: 76
  • upload_2020-4-20_8-39-11.png
    upload_2020-4-20_8-39-11.png