Remember when Nitrox was "Devil Gas?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gang,

I was reading another forum and someone reminded me of this. I remember wandering into the LDS that certified me when Nitrox was just beginning to be discussed. I forget what year that was... Maybe early 90's?

Anyway, I asked about it and the owner spit right back "What? That Devil Gas? We'll never fill any tanks with that stuff here!" I tried to turn down the emotion and actually talk about the physiology but she was having nothing to do with it. Just more ranting about "Devil Gas." Seriously here. I felt like I was talking to some 13th century alchemist who was trying to turn lead into gold. I was just silly and not the first, nor last time I'd heard that term used when referring to Nitrox.

I remember a bunch of people got together and tried to ban Nitrox from the DEMA show floor one year. Ban it? Come on now. This is an industry that thrives on change. We need change. We need to constantly be looking at better ways to do things. I sure don't remember anyone crying when those silly horse collar BCs with the stupid CO2 cartridge went away.

A couple of years later that same LDS mentioned above started filling Nitrox. But even then, it was rather bizarre. They'd ask you where you were diving and would refuse to give you any more of a mix than the maximum depth you could hit on that site. Even if you clearly explained that you were going to stay on top of the wreck, you still got a mixture for the bottom. Made for some really silly mixtures sometimes. I remember once they told me I was getting 25%. Please. That isn't even worth the effort. Or extra money.

Now everyone offers Nitrox. Any LDS that doesn't is probably going to be short lived. I dive it every chance I get. I know it's just human nature to be resistant to change but it's still disappointing to see people just knee-jerk a response and call it "Devil Gas."

-Charles

Actually the dive industry is extremely reistant to change, snorkels, MOF, I remember being banned from a south Florida dive boat because I used a wing (yep--circa 1980).

As to "Devil Gas" I also remember that crap and a bunch more--to bad you did not make a video recording of him and then today give him a reality check. As to Nitrox being "old man" gas there is no real evidence that it makes a diver feel better--that is placebo effect and the power of suggestion in play. The one and TRUE benifit is longer bottom times.

N

Hell I've only been diving for 6 years. Just a baby. But I'm going to name my backplate a "Devil Plate"! "Ahhhh you can use that but it's overkill!" ......."Is that tech gear?"......Another chimes in....."yep sure is"......"ahhhh don't it push your face forward in the water?"
Until more people start to dive them, they start to make money and then "you gotta have this!"

It's not a benefit for everyone and every style of diving.

Agreed. It's only benefit is extended NDL. I don't think it's for everyone either. I also don't believe it's "Devil Gas." The absurdity of that is hilarious. Reminds me of those stories from school about burning women at the stake because they "had the Devil in them."

-Charles

Interesting conversation, I wasn't diving back in the day so this is a history lesson for me.

So in 10-15 years will we be having this discussion on "Remember when we used to dive with gas that contained Nitrogen" (think Helium). Probably not! From my not qualified knowledge I understand that it reduces Narcosis but does nothing to change deco.
I don't think so... helium is not a natural breathing gas found everyday. It has to be added to the mixture in order to create a tri-mix. Oxygen and Nitrogen are both gasses that are a part of everyday breathing...But, I do understand where you are going with this... It's just not a natural progression...

I want the breathing apparatus that the Jedi's have... instant conversion... that is where I think things will progress... with time...

Helium also costs a LOT and the prize is increasing and set to continue as it gets harder to mine.
As for its change to deco, depends on mix but common mixes have deco similar to air.

(Plus obviously He has its own issues)

I don't think so... helium is not a natural breathing gas found everyday. It has to be added to the mixture in order to create a tri-mix. Oxygen and Nitrogen are both gasses that are a part of everyday breathing...But, I do understand where you are going with this... It's just not a natural progression...

I want the breathing apparatus that the Jedi's have... instant conversion... that is where I think things will progress... with time...

Ok, Just for fun arguments sake I'll play along. If helium is not found in air then where does it come from? (I admit the concentration is really low about 5ppm in air).

I was really not serious, I realize helium is impractical for every day use.

P.S. The answer is Natural Gas.

Devils Gas :11: I wish I'd known about it before I went diving today! Well now that I have it in me I guess that I'm doomed to go down. Down under the surface that is :D

Helium can be sourced in several ways but in the US it comes largely from helium gas wells in Hugoton, Kansas.

N

Back
Top Bottom