Remember when you started with Rebreathers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My ‘rule’ is always check a tank before you put it on...

Rebreather bottles, suit, deco, stage, or bailout. If it only needs to be charged for a flow check, it gets turned off again once donned. And if you are in the water doing this (ie, shore dive), there is always a breathable source of gas in your mouth!

I have one of those leaky rebreathers.... it doesn’t matter to me if I leave the O2 on or not.... usually I prefer to turn it off in between dives (only if I remove the unit, otherwise it stays on), or if there is a significant time between setting up/checking the unit for the day and splashing.

_R

So, I was on the phone with the owner of a super popular mccr manufacturer a few weeks ago. I told that person that after my predive check, I just left the oxygen on. I explained that I know several people who turned off their oxygen after the checks, and got to the waters edge later and forgot to turn the oxygen back on. This person was adamant that leaving the oxygen on was more dangerous than forgetting to turn the oxygen back on. I did the math and on a 2l bottle the leaky valve would have taken the better part of a day to run dry. With an orifice set at .9lpm on a 200bar 2l tank, it would take over 7 hours to empty.

Come up with a routine that works for you. Definitely use a checklist. If you get interrupted, you’ll have a solid point to pick up where you left off.

Folks,

Regarding Checklists:

I may be old fashioned, but I'm not a fan of the plastic card type checklists, whether it's rebreathers, OC or anything else.

I much prefer a check log, that I can physically write on, and maintain for permanent/future reference, whether the future is tomorrow or years from now.

You learn nothing from anything that is not ''permanent record''.

I am still able to go back 20 years and tell anyone interested, everything, about a specific dive, gear/date/time/depth/location.

I hate mentioning this but Rob Stewart/Peter Sotis were using plastic checklist cards, nothing recorded/nothing learned.

Rose.

I much prefer a check log, that I can physically write on, and maintain for permanent/future reference, whether the future is tomorrow or years from now.

You learn nothing from anything that is not ''permanent record''.

Exactly! I have only the engraved checklists for my rEvo. Nothing I can write on when I'm doing my Closed or Pre-jump checks.

I've been diving my rEvo for almost 2 years now. 100-something dives. And I have learned NOTHING from doing all those checklists..... obviously, because I don't have a checklist I can write on.

I have found the small plastic rEvo check lists to be perfectly fine, have been using it for nearly 500 dives, it is small and simple. I don't need to be able write on it, I am committed to using the check list each and every time.

I had dinner with the OP today and he asked me if that @rjack321 guy was a decent guy. The OP said he seemed like a likable fellow. I lied and said he (rjack) was. :)

I had dinner with the OP today and he asked me if that @rjack321 guy was a decent guy. The OP said he seemed like a likable fellow. I lied and said he (rjack) was. :)

LMAO :p

I actually remade the rEvo checklists. Removed the RMS instructions and changed it to work with transmitters and a NERD. There appears to be a bit of interest so they may go into production. Helps when you have a friend with a 90W laser cutter in his garage and is looking for a reason to use it.

I actually remade the rEvo checklists. Removed the RMS instructions and changed it to work with transmitters and a NERD. There appears to be a bit of interest so they may go into production. Helps when you have a friend with a 90W laser cutter in his garage and is looking for a reason to use it.
I rewrote the insane 8pt font Meg checklist too. To focus on things that were 1) not completely obvious like "install tanks". There is no way I would end up splashing minus a dil or o2 bottle its just hogging space and attention to include it on a checklist and 2) things that are an actual threat - like not checking the cell carriage for gas by-pass or forgetting the stereocheck.

I made my own checklists, laminated and write on with dry erase marker, then take a picture of them and save in evernote.
Handy when you have to go back and figure things out, esp related to cells...

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 11.02.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 11.07.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 11.07.59 AM.png

Interesting.
So both days you document no negative pressure check, but went diving.
I don't write on mine, but I see the value for your heirs. For me, it's USAF standard: the checklist STOPS when you get to a step that you can't complete. You don't skip anything. If you do, you need to rework your checklist.
So since I ALWAYS do my checklist in order, even if I have to pause for an interruption or a fix, I don't personally see any value in writing things down.
Then again, I write a manual log entry (with voltage and pics and thoughts) for each dive, for pleasant memories or weighting questions or cell stability.
What you and @Rose Robinson do may be old fashioned, and I can't fault it. But IMO, you were bold to post two checklists in a row with skipped steps.

Back
Top Bottom