Remembering the Members of the Richmond Dive Club lost in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D1v1n

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On October 8, 2011, the Richmond Dive Club will commemorate the 10th anniversary of the tragic accident in Belize which resulted in the death of seventeen members of the Richmond Dive Club on the chartered dive yacht M/V Wave Dancer during Hurricane Iris.

Family and friends will gather with members of the Richmond Dive Club at Lake Rawlings in Rawlings (Brunswick County) Virginia, at 12:00 noon on October 8 for a celebration of the lives of our Lost Buddies. Lake Rawlings is a popular local SCUBA diving site, and many of the lost Club members received their training there. A brief memorial ceremony will be followed by the placing of a commemorative plaque on an underwater training platform in the Lake. The plaque will bear the names of the seventeen divers, and will be added to the platform placed in the Lake in 2002 by the Richmond Dive Club and the Philip Morris Dive Club as a memorial to those lost in the accident.
For more information visit Richmond Dive Club

That was a terrible tragedy. I was working just north of there at the time.
My boss flew us over the Big Creek port the next day.
Lesson learned: NEVER take a hurricane lightly. They are just too unpredictable.
My heart goes out to the families of all the victims.

My heart also goes out to the friends and family of those who died. I lost a friend, Aaron Stark, who was a member of the crew.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom