Remove battery from dive computer for the winter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would only be true if there is something inside the device that is consuming power- such as a smart TV which is typically on standby but not completely "off". As far as most (or all?) electronic dive gear components such as lights, when they're off, they're off and it makes no difference whether the battery is inside it or on a shelf next to it.

But is that always true? I think the concern, whether real or imagined, is leakage of current through circuitry that is not powered. Unlike electronics of yore, there isn’t always a physical switch creating a perfect open circuit at the battery.

But is that always true? I think the concern, whether real or imagined, is leakage of current through circuitry that is not powered. Unlike electronics of yore, there isn’t always a physical switch creating a perfect open circuit at the battery.
This above. Does your computer even have an off switch?

Embedded computer chips have a "sleep" mode where they consume extremely small amounts of battery energy. They periodically wake up to check if they need to stay awake. If not then they immediately go back to sleep. The battery is always connected, the computer is always powered but only consuming small amounts of battery power while asleep. The "on" switch does not control power, it simply indicates that the computer should stay on and entertain the human.

The on off pushbutton switch on all my dive lights function this way as well. They are not twist on / off which actually do disconnect the battery.

Keep the battery in. They only consume very little power while being not used and the Mares Puck Pro Battery compartment seal isn't a very pleasent thing to deal with....
About the other thread that was mentioned with the "exploded" battery:
The Lithium batterys don't spill due to age but due to water contact.

Embedded computer chips have a "sleep" mode where they consume extremely small amounts of battery energy. They periodically wake up to check if they need to stay awake.
My Suunto has to keep the clock ticking, so that consumes a minor amount of power. But it doesn't ever wake up unless I push a button or it's submerged.

My analog wristwatch - which has to power the dial hands - is happy if it gets a fresh battery every two to four years (no I haven't kept any formal record). I only open my Suunto's battery compartment if the battery level indicator tells me it's about time to put in a fresh CR2032 battery. I think I've done that about two times during the last seven or so years.

Shearwater recommends that batteries not be left in for long periods between dives. The batteries will drain and if they leak, the repair is not covered under warranty.
I was thinking that Shearwater is probably the only computer where you want to remove the battery especially if it's an alkaline and since it's made to be opened frequently for battery change.

The Mares Puck takes a lithium cell that does not leak and has a very long shelf life. I would just leave it in.

My Suunto has to keep the clock ticking, so that consumes a minor amount of power. But it doesn't ever wake up unless I push a button or it's submerged.

My analog wristwatch - which has to power the dial hands - is happy if it gets a fresh battery every two to four years (no I haven't kept any formal record). I only open my Suunto's battery compartment if the battery level indicator tells me it's about time to put in a fresh CR2032 battery. I think I've done that about two times during the last seven or so years.

Ah, I hadn't even considered the fact that most computers maintain the time and date. That's a less subtle drain than the "leakage" current I was contemplating in my comment above. And yet, it is apparently still such a tiny amount of drain that it isn't worth removing the battery for storage.

So it seems the only valid reason to remove a battery from a computer during long-term storage would be with a computer that uses alkaline batteries, which are known to leak when completely discharged.

Embedded computer chips have a "sleep" mode where they consume extremely small amounts of battery energy..

Right. This would be true of dive computers that need to maintain an internal clock as @Storker said.

If there's no current flow to the device there is no battery drain.

If there's no current flow to the device there is no battery drain.

I get it. I'm an electrical engineer by training.

Thanks everyone, for your thoughts! It's sounding like my plan will be to make sure the DC is good and dry and leave the battery in. Knowing me, it's a good chance I'll check it a couple times over the winter, just make sure the indicator is still showing good power, but other then that, I have a back up ready to go if needed next spring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom