Remove Lithium Batteries for Storage- Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divesergeant

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Most of the references in the manual speak to alkaline batteries and leakage potential. We user lithiums exclusively.

Am I better off to leave the lithiums in for a 6 or so month storage and not risk damage to the o-ring, or remove the batteries and plan to get new o-rings for the computers and transmitters?

In our previous computers (Elite T3s and transmitters) we’d just leave the lithiums in.

The regular, non-rechargeable “Energizer Ultimate” Lithium ones.

Nil chance of leakage. Long shelf life. If the DC has no parasitic drain you should have the same charge you put it away with.
Same with the SAFT.
The Li-on might self discharge a bit depending on the brand/make/quality and use history. Should be pulled so it could be monitored.

There's a reason some people call them 'alka-leaks'. I've pretty much given up on them. Too many ruined electronics

Most of the references in the manual speak to alkaline batteries and leakage potential. We user lithiums exclusively.

Am I better off to leave the lithiums in for a 6 or so month storage and not risk damage to the o-ring, or remove the batteries and plan to get new o-rings for the computers and transmitters?

In our previous computers (Elite T3s and transmitters) we’d just leave the lithiums in.

Hi Divesergeant,

I spoke with Dive-Tronics (Richard) about this issue last winter. He said that regular alkaline batteries need to be removed for long term storage, and there is no need to have a battery in the DC, of any kind, for long term storage. Leaking batteries is a major source of repair work for his company and Shearwater Computers (he is the Shearwater repair rep for the US).

My ultimate lithium battery is still in my Perdix even though I have not used it. I have the DC on my ammo loading bench and turn it on and run the display pages and set-up windows once or twice a month. I check the voltage. It isn't really in long term storage as I do check it and the voltage is still about 1.65v.

I have a Hollis dive light and the flashlight worked. I opened it up to replace the batteries for an upcoming trip. Something leaked. Either the batteries or the two O-rings. They were not copper-top or equal batteries. Cheap batteries. I cleaned it up and installed new O-rings, it is fine. I installed copper tops this time. Very minor leakage--not a total flood. I think the corrosion was from a leaking battery. I don't think it was salt water.

You can buy lots of size 112 buna-n, durometer 70 O-rings for a few dollars. Use your finger nails or a tooth pick to remove the old O-rings--don't use a metal pick. Grease them lightly with silicone grease--make sure the silicone grease has no petroleum additives.

Good luck,
markm

Last alka-leak I had was a copper top. Damn near ruined a TV remote. IMO, just don't go there. I've had leaks in Energizer, Ray-O-Vac, Duracell, the lot. I hate 'em.

Thanks to all for the input. Alkalines are right out. I’ll stick with the lithiums and pay close attention to o-rings during battery swaps. The Perdix came with two extra o-rings, so I’m set for a while.

Markmud, I had to laugh. If I had a DC on a reloading bench I’d get day dreaming about diving and throw a double charge into a few cases!

So just got a Perdix (have a Teric already) is there a recommended battery manufacturer/type? I normally use amazon AA for everything but willing to buy the best of the best for the Perdix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom