Removing frozen caps on Apeks 1 st stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trimixdivin

Contributor
Reaction score
Any one have any suggestions for removing a frozen environmental cap on an apeks first stage. It is not budging with my spanner wrench. My fault for not servicing it for 8 years

Soak it for a few days then alternate freezer then hot water. It sometimes helps to try tightening it first which can break the seal

I was going to suggest try tightening then loosening. A trick that works with screws and bolts that are seized is to try loosening while tapping it with a hammer or tapping on the end of the screwdriver while loosening. I would be hesitant to hit a reg hard but you might try to tap the top with a rubber mallet gently while trying the spanner if you are completely out of options.

Squirt some of the best penetrating oil under the threads and let it soak in at least overnight. Don't bother with cheap wd40 stuff go for a proper one.

You can also put the whole first stage in an very hot ultrasonic bath

1) Freezer and then hot water (freezer part my be unnecessary I usually just stick entire first stage in an Ultrasonic cleaner with heater)
2) Put body in a vice (use rubber sheet to protect it)
3) Use pin spanner with rubber mallet carefully. I use two pin spanners, one on body and another on environmental cap as they can sometimes come off in one piece.

That Universal Pin Spanner that @buddhasummer posted looks great. I will have to pick one up.

Back
Top Bottom