Removing items from the USS Oriskany (interesting dilemma)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
I saw posted on a email forum about a diver removing a control panel from a recent dive to the USS Oriskany. It surprised me for some reason.

I know divers remove things from "old" wrecks all the time, but I didn't expect people to start tearing apart the ship so quickly. Much less items that require tools to remove....

What do others here think about divers removing parts of the ship on the OriskanY?

BTW... I found on the Florida Wildlife Commission web page about this ship that it states that it is against the law to remove anything from the ship.

There is no need for that crap. That is just someone that only thinks of themselves. Scumbags. (unless it was something really cool. then it's OK)
Just kidding!!!!!

Hopefully I'll be diving the Oriskany on laborday.. I don't think I'll be taking anything other than pictures...

I'm not failiar with the USS Oriskany, but from the post, it appears this was downed recently? Is it possible the control panel was removed as part of a commissioned salvage op?

mike, can you link to the page that states removing stuff from the Oriskany is against the law? (just curious)

basically, as stated by others, right there is the end of the issue for me

doos:
I'm not failiar with the USS Oriskany, but from the post, it appears this was downed recently? Is it possible the control panel was removed as part of a commissioned salvage op?

It is a decommisioned US aircraft carrier that was sunk as an artificial reef. It's had quite a bit of press, especially in the dive community.

no... it was not removed as part of a comissioned salvage op.

the ship was sunk May 17th as an artificial reef off the coast of Pensacola. It spent many many months in port being readied for sinking, removing anything that could be any hazzard to the environment. Basically it was stripped before sinking.

Sounds like he basically had to "rip/beat" a few items off. It also sounds like from the below that the charter captian was somewhat involved and gave direction on how to get some items and condoned it.

While taking one small item might not seem like much, I'm envisioning diving the ship in a few years and seeing wiring hanging everwhere out of holes left from where people have torn everything they can get their hands on with a pry-bar and ripped it out of the ship....

Here is the post that describes what the person took off the oriskany. I went back and found it. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/techdiver-SE/message/4515

RE: [techdiver-SE] Re : 2nd Oriskany Report

Liza and I dove with Capt. Tim and Britany of Viking diving out of Pensacola
again on Saturday. On this trip I wanted to scoop some goodies if possible
so we decided to go with single 120's & single 100's and concentrate on the
superstructure/ tower. I brought some tools and a goody bag and on the first
dive spent a lot of time exploring different compartments and using the
interior ladders to acess different decks. I passed up a few cool items
looking for cooler ones but as time started to run down I ran into what I
considered a very cool instrument panel. A cluster of 4 guages set into a
stainless steel mount. All the guages had the glass intact and had toggle
switches below them. There was a little plaque above them that ID'd them and
said " Dept.of Navy - Bureau of Ships"...but did not say "USS Orikany"...
Too bad but still cool. It's about 16" long and weighs about 5 lbs. It came
off with a screw driver and a mini hack saw for the wiring. On the second
dive Capt Tim directed me to a ship's phone which took a mallet, chisel and
crowbar to get off the wall. It's about 8" tall, 6" wide and 4" deep and is
stainless steel also and weighs about 8 lbs. The phone, manual dialer and
receiver spot (place to hang it up) are all in great shape but someone with
apparently only a knife handy had absconded with the receiver already. Oh
well, I'll find another one intact but I'm sure it will be deeper down and
in than that one. I'm soaking the the guage cluster and phone now and I'm
pretty sure they will clean up nicely. I kept my eye out for hatches, but
alas.... We had another great trip with Capt. Tim and Britany. By the way,
Britany is leaving for the US Merchant Marine Academy in 2 weeks...Good
Luck- I know you'll do great and we'll miss you, but I'm sure not as much as
Capt. Tim will miss all your great help.

mike_s:
BTW... I found on the Florida Wildlife Commission web page about this ship that it states that it is against the law to remove anything from the ship.

It's also against the law to drink and drive, rob, murder, lie under oath...................

Yet we have daily examples that laws mean very little to some people.

Maybe Florida should come up with a new classification of game fish for spear fishing....

Humanus Clepto Opicus (roughly - stupid human thief)

$35 fee anually, must provide photo or video proof of the offender in the act. You get to keep the dive gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom