Removing items from the USS Oriskany (interesting dilemma)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fastmarc, it was only quite recently the ship was restored. Much of this thread was developed prior to the ship being put right. But again, I applaud the efforts of those involved in doing the right thing.

I started a new thread offering closure to the whole thing, and a few folks saw it.

I personally returned the items taken by Mr. Sleppy a few weeks ago. Rich not only was very apologetic, but instantly wanted to do the right thing, so he shipped me the parts he took, and that following Monday Captain Tim and I replaced the items on the Oriskany.

This should make all reasonable people happy.

Oriskany Divemaster:
I started a new thread offering closure to the whole thing, and a few folks saw it.

I personally returned the items taken by Mr. Sleppy a few weeks ago. Rich not only was very apologetic, but instantly wanted to do the right thing, so he shipped me the parts he took, and that following Monday Captain Tim and I replaced the items on the Oriskany.

This should make all reasonable people happy.

OriskanyDiveMaster, I'm glad you mentioned this. I completely missed your thread on this.

If anyone else wants to read it, it can be found at http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=155589

I'm just curious of why didn't he return them himself to the wreck instead of getting you to return them? (perhaps it's because he lives a far distance away and it couldn't be done in a timely manner?)

OriskanyDiveMaster, thank you for your efforts and for letting us know.

mike_s:
I'm just curious of why didn't he return them himself to the wreck instead of getting you to return them? (perhaps it's because he lives a far distance away and it couldn't be done in a timely manner?)

OriskanyDiveMaster, thank you for your efforts and for letting us know.

He couldn't return them for the reasons you mention. Scheduling was an issue, so rather than postpone it any longer, he shipped the pieces to me.

This is great news. Thanks to everyone involved in returning the control panel and phone - even though I will most likely never dive the Oriskany. The diving community should remain self-regulating, as involvement from third parties almost always disadvantages all divers.

Thank you, Mr Sleppy and Captain Tim. I commend you. :clapping:

Cheers,

Andrew

vikingdiving:
Any of you who wish to contact me personally, I would encourage such instead of hiding behind the obscurity of the computer.

I have and never got a reply.

vikingdiving:
I served this country as a Mission Planner for the US Air Force and was an Air Commando with Special Opps dating all the way back to the Cold War. I reported weekly to the Joint Chiefs of Staff and have been involved in more missions in the defense of the country than many of you have even known about.

And it sickens me that with 17 years in the Air Force myself that someone like you served in the Air Force with me.

vikingdiving:
I started in the dive industry in 1992 and currently have the oldest dive charter operation in Pensacola. Only SCUBA Shack has been here longer than I, and I remeber when they left Skippers and started their shop first hand. I have dove and worked to promote and protect our marine resources with organizations to include but not limited to The Cousteau Society and the Coral Reef Foundation. I am an active officer in the United States Merchant Marine and hold a rating of 100 GT Master. I have worked and operated everything from commercial dive utility boats to live aboards to my current dive boat the "Viking". I have served as the Director of the largest Dive Training Operation in the country as the Director of the University of Florida Academic Dive Training Program and have certified more instructors than most instructors have certified divers. My personal dive vita could go on and on, but hopefully you all get the picture.

What picture? Who gives a S*#& that you can toot your own whistle. This is just more proof that you should know better.

vikingdiving:
As a dive operator, and ships captain my responsibility is to the safety and security of all passengers aboard my vessel. Of course, there is no way that anyone can police the activities of every diver on board but this is the primary reason that I have chose to stay with the "Viking" to take divers to the Oriskany instead of a cattle boat where everything goes on without anyone having any knowledge.

And you didn't see somebody getting on and off your boat with tools, a goody bag, and then tools with a goody bag that had a panel and a phone in it?

vikingdiving:
Mr. Sleppy and I have had discussions about the removal of such items from the wreck in an appropriate and professional manner as I am sure any of you would appreciate having the same done with you if you where in a similar situation... caught doing something stupid that you knew that you shouldn't be or where previously briefed against. .

You should have had that discussion on the boat, at the dive site, after he returned back from putting the items back. Then you should have had a discussion with the appropriate authorities during your report on Mr. Sleppy's actions. You see, now since you allowed him back (with your knowledge) with the items there is this thing called guilt by association and complicity.[/QUOTE]

vikingdiving:
You see, I am the proud single father of two wonderful children the most recent of which... my daughter Brittany who was divemastering that day... has just gotten Congressional appointment to the US Merchant Marine Academy and this past weekend reported to Kings Point. .

And you think these are good values to instill on your children.

vikingdiving:
Admonishment of anyone in a public open forem is simply inappropriate. Any adult should know this if they have any successful managment training or experience.
Rich Sleppy, while I don't agree with his taking of these things from the wreck, happens to be one of the most responsible divers and instructors that I have had on our boat in a while. Unfortunately, some divers seak sovieniers, some divers seak knowledge, some thrills... I have seen it all aboard my boat, but again, my job is to educate to the best of my abilities and to keep eveyone safe. With regard to our "pirating" the reef .

You're right. He should be forgiven. After all that nice guy down the street only murdered his wife and children. Other than that he has never done anything wrong and attends church every Sunday. He is a great guy after all.

vikingdiving:
This is the most inappropriate accusation of all regarding me, my daughter or my operation. The true culprits can be seen at any of the local dive shops where not only Oriskany items are proudly displayed but almost everything of any interest from every dive site in Pensacola. The only things I have displayed are pieces of Calypso given to me by Captain Cousteau and Sean-Michel himself. As for harming the wreck for others to enjoy... talk to the cattle boats who take divers out and not only rape and pillage the wreck but write every sort of graphitti you can imagine all over the wreck. It is starting to look like something in Brooklin NY. As for criminal acts on the wreck. Someone even placed the flag of the country I fought to defend on the wreck with their own advertisement written all over it. Last time I checked... it was a Federal offense to deface the Flag of the United States of America or to display it in any inappropriate manner. Others have placed submerged obstructions on the wreck just below the surface calling them "Mooring Balls", which is in direct violation of USCG regulations. Why do you think they sank it in 212 feet of water in the first place. Nothing is supposed to be within 60 feet of the surface... .

This is what we call shifting the blame. "You know I screwed up, but these guys screwed up too."

Sorry, you got caught so you are the subject here. If you know of these other offenses and you are such the upright citizen, patriot, reef protector, father, boat captain and all around person then why don't you report these offenses and let the appropriate authorities take care of it? Hmmmmmmmmmm.

vikingdiving:
Now, normally I would just keep silent and allow idiots to show their ignorance because they usually only embarrase themselves in the process but when certain individuals started writing me personal ananomus e-mails attacking my personal integrity and professionalism and encouraging others to do the same, I had to draw the line. I will continue to take divers safely to the Oriskany and other dive locations in Pensacola as I have done for the past 14 years and I will be here long after all those profit seekers who have only come into town in the past two years are gone by the wayside. I will continue working with Military Public Affairs, as I have for the past 8 years trying to provide for my fellow comrads in arms who continue to serve our nation and remain the ambassador for Pensacola reefs that I have tried diligently to do since I began diving. I would only hope that those of you who obviously know nothing about me or my operation... or the truth for that matter, would cease with the childishness of spreading lies and threats.

In closing... someone who actually knows is someone who has been there himself and seen first hand our operation. My special thanks to Don Janni who spoke up for us and tried to clarify the truth, and additionally, "Shame" on those of you who spoke or responded out of ignorance.

Capt. Tim Thorsen

Wahhhhhh, booooo-hhooooooo. You made us cry by calling us children.

Sorry, many of us didn't write you anonomously and you never replied to us either. You also haven't proven anything by trying to blow yourself up to such a crusader. That just makes you inaction even more dispicable. Wooooowwwwww, you talked to Mr. Sleppy. Glad didn't break to much of a sweat doing that or lose any precious time with phone calls to anybody that really could do something or filling out any reports to the proper authorities.

Congratulations on the items being replaced on the Mighty-O.

Has there been something as simple as an apology made by Mr. Sleppy or Capt. Tim for there actions.

I am happy in the thought that maybe this thread will perhaps stop some of the pilagers from pillaging and has possibly rehabilitated one.

NetDoc:
The ship has been restored and THAT is wonderful.

I have also received e-mail from Mr Sleppy that was not only apologetic but trying to do things right by Capt Tim. I was IMPRESSED!!! Kudos to both of these gentlemen for doing what is right. Hopefully, I will get to dive with them one day!

Good for them and for all of us future O divers! Doing the right thing AFTER you have done the wrong thing can frequently be harder than not doing the wrong thing in the first place. That speaks volumes in my book. Again, I commend all of the envolved parties.

Back
Top Bottom