Removing my 6' long hose for open rec diving- ideal length for open water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't disagree with switching to a shorter hose. In fact, if you plan on using a snorkel on a regular basis, I'd recommend going to a 40" hose with a swivel/etc, routed under your arm. Long hose with a snorkel can cause issues at an inopportune time.

If you decide to stick with the long hose, ditch the snorkel and pick up a pocket snorkel. Get rid of it when you descend.

Your secondary should be shorter. That it's bowing out so significantly is an indication of that.

I just stick with a 7ft'er on everything. It's out of the way on rec dives.

How else are the skittle divers supposed to recognize my superiority and give me a wide berth while on the boat?

(Sarcasm)

Good ideas. So a 24" for the backup and 40 and elbow for the primary. I'll give that a go

Good ideas. So a 24" for the backup and 40 and elbow for the primary. I'll give that a go

22" for the backup is standard size. I've never felt it limiting.

22 with a single? I just want to make sure I buy the right stuff. My hoses are 10-15 years old so I'd like new ones anyway. I probably scavenged the 30" from an old primary, but hard to remember 15 years ago....

A long hose is not any extra “hassle” unless we have different definitions of hassle.

It’s not any extra hassle when you understand why the most experienced and capable divers in the world use it.

You certainly won’t think it’s extra hassle if you have to actually share gas. I can’t imagine why someone wouldn’t dive a long hose when properly introduced to the idea.

What first stage do you have? I like to route my 40" reg hose from the bottom port of mine. Makes it easier to route under my arm then to the swivel. You have to mount the first stage at an angle on the tank.

What first stage do you have? I like to route my 40" reg hose from the bottom port of mine. Makes it easier to route under my arm then to the swivel. You have to mount the first stage at an angle on the tank.

But then you don't look cool. And looking cool is the first rule. Ahead of "always wear black" and "don't die."

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom