Removing my 6' long hose for open rec diving- ideal length for open water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a couple of pics I pulled from my archives. How do the hose lengths look?

View attachment 468185View attachment 468186

Not mean to be picky, but I will give my input. I think the 26" is can be shorter by quite a bit. It seems to bow out a lot. Inflator hose is a bit too long too. Need to ditch that snorkel because it will interfere with long hose donation.

As for rec dive, I would say don't bother with shorter hose, just use what you use now 6ft or whatever. When you tug that hose in waist strap, that extra length doesn't matter.

I ordered new hoses. Some of my lengths were odd because I already had the hoses on hand. I bumped my SPG hose up from 24 to 26 as it's a bit of a stretch to see it. Back up is going from 30" to 24". I'm going to swap the 6' back to a 5' since I'm not using my canister light. Inflater hose is going from the halcyon 22" to a 18".

Some of my hoses are over 10 years old, so I figure new rubber won't hurt.

It looks like your inflator hose could be shorter too. What's that loop behind the right side of your head?

What the heck is that? I think it's maybe the light cable off the canister? It's really long, maybe it was floating up behind me.

Take a look at this set up from Dive Rite.

DGX Custom - Dive Rite XT Streamlined OW Reg Package

They use a 40" hose for the primary with a 120* swivel, so the hose can route under your armpit and keep the hose from looping way out and casing a snagging hazard.
This. I dive an Oceanreef FFM and run a 40" MiFlex hose and swivel so I can route the hose under my right arm. Works like a charm and keeps everything nice and tidy and out of the way. Recently switch to a regular mask and 2nd sage underwater during my rescue course and it was comfortable that way, too. I would definiteey recommend it for typical rec diving.

Hoses are so cheap, I also ordered a 40" and a 70 degree angle thingy. I don't trust swivels with o-rings and a screw, too many extra failure points for me.

I use two 40’s, the primary on a 120 swivel and the secondary on a necklace. Both are routed under my right arm. I’ve tried every combo in the past and found this to be about the best for me. I don’t like any hoses over my shoulders because they always seem to slide down or stick out and I hate that. The inflator obviously goes over the shoulder but it’s short and stays put with a bungee loop on my shoulder strap.

I use a 24" hose for backup, I find the 22" pulls, but I'm 6'3". For the long hose on single tank rec dives, I use a 7', but just tuck it into my belt, more on the side than in the front so it stays put, if I don't have a can on me.

Brrrrrrr

I always use my 6ft unless teaching OW then I dive a smiliar rig to students for demo purposes. I just tuck into my belt. I am tall and seems like a 5ft hose would have no where to go so would be a dangly. Maybe just go with the standard 40" primary if you are set on not using the long hose on rec dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom