Removing salt and chlorine from water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm thinking of making a DIY rinse station for my gear as I have a lot of stuff I need already. The plan is to use a sump in the basement pump the water up to first floor rinse the gear and have it gravity drain back to the sump thereby reusing the water and wasting less.

What I'm wondering is how to then get the chlorine and salt from the rinse out of the sump. Will a under the sink two stage filter do it or do I need to run it through a RO unit (which does waste some of it.

Do you live in the Sahara desert, or on a tiny rocky island or something? Running RO or a distillation column or something to recycle your rinse water seems crazy if you’re hooked up to city pipes. It’s not that scarce a resource even in Johannesburg! Just toss your gear in the bathtub and use a shower nozzle on a hose.

I have to pay for the water and I'm a cheap bastard.

Right now I rinse in the shower but hauling those steel tanks up and down the stairs is hell on my knee and back (both injured)

Maybe don't rinse the tanks? I suggest that most tanks never get washed and manage to stay in service for many years. Or wait for a rainy day?

I don’t ever rinse my tanks or weights. They’re fairly indestructible. The price of city water would have to be very high indeed for a system like that to pay off within its lifetime. If you want to do it just because as a hobby though, more power to ya!

If I have to use a RO or still I won't do it, if I can use a 2 stage filter it's worth doing.

Install a desalination plant on your second floor. The electricity generated should help cover ongoing costs.

Problem with filters is that the water molecules are larger than the salt ions.

Scientists are working on a filter that captures the ions, but you may have to wait ‘till they work out the bugs.

Still may cost more than your water bill.

EDIT:
Noticed you are in New England, capture rainwater and just do single use, you may need a bit more storage. It isn’t like out here where it is normally dry at least a half a year at a time.

Bob

Do you live in the Sahara desert, or on a tiny rocky island or something? Running RO or a distillation column or something to recycle your rinse water seems crazy if you’re hooked up to city pipes. It’s not that scarce a resource even in Johannesburg! Just toss your gear in the bathtub and use a shower nozzle on a hose.
You may want to recheck your point of reference for water availability :p Even Capetown is now suffering from restrictions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom