Renew PADI DM Membership Dues before taking IDC/IE?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Should be a basic question but figured I would ask here and save a phone call to PADI. I'm a current PADI Divemaster (current paid dues and current insurance) and I am planning on taking the PADI IDC this December but I probably won't take my IE until late February due to timing logistics.

Do I need to renew my current PADI divemaster dues for 2014 prior to taking IDC course or sitting in on Instructor Examination (IE) in February? Not sure if PADI pro-rates member dues? I'm trying to avoid having to pay for PADI DM dues, Instructor Examination fee and PADI Instructor dues. Any ideas?

The prerequisites state 'Divemaster', not 'Active Status Divemaster', so you do not need to renew your DM rating. You will just have to pay the instructor fees for 2014.

Good luck, and enjoy your IDC !

What Bubble said.

are you two sure about that?

I am under the impression that if your dues are not current then you are not a Divemaster anymore.

If you are a working DM, will your insurance cover you for the period between when you let your DM lapse and you (presumably) successfully complete your IE?

I am 100% sure about this, as I am a CD who runs IDCs regularly, and have had non-renewed DMs on courses before.

As a non-renewed DM, you cannot work as a DM. You cannot conduct PADI programmes, such as Scuba Review or Skin Diver course, without Active Status.

Besides not being authorized to conduct PADI programs, if his insurance is with V&B, which is claims-based insurance, I believe he would not be covered if a claim was filed during the gap.

The other part of the question was whether PADI would pro-rate his instructor dues if he does pay his DM dues at the end of the year. Weak memory, but I think they do.

The other part of the question was whether PADI would pro-rate his instructor dues if he does pay his DM dues at the end of the year. Weak memory, but I think they do.

Kind of... At the IE you pay the Instructor Application fee (as well as the IE fee). This covers the member fees until Dec 31st of that year. Then you need to renew for the following year as normal. The annual renewal fee is higher than the initial Instructor Application fee. Check with your local PADI office for the exact fees, I only know the Asia-Pacific prices...

The prerequisites state 'Divemaster', not 'Active Status Divemaster', so you do not need to renew your DM rating. You will just have to pay the instructor fees for 2014.

Good luck, and enjoy your IDC !

Thanks! Exactly the information I was looking for.

Back
Top Bottom