rental car and insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubavaquera

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
So - I am leaving for Coz. on Friday and this time I have a rental car. (For some reason, it was cheaper to book the hotel/car combo on Orbitz rather than the hotel alone). I have been to the island many times, but never used a car. I am not worried about finding my way around, but am worried about the insurance thing and what happens if there is a mishap. I really don't want to spend time in jail... :shocked2:I know I need to buy the full coverage, but should I do that ahead of time or when I get there? Do they jack up the price if you wait until you arrive?
I would appreciate any words of wisdom that those of you who have used a car there might share. I am a single female and don't want to be taken advantage of at the counter. I know sometimes they assume the ' gringa touristas' aren't on top of things. BTW, I am using Hertz there by the airport.
I really like the idea of having the car to get around, but am not yet convinced it is worth the risk/hassel. :idk:

Julie

You should be safe with Hertz. I usually chance it and rent a convertible bug from one of the local places. I wonder what the deductible is with Hertz?

As a fellow Missourian, I took a look at your profile. What quarry do you dive? Is it private or public? Is it Oronogo by any chance?

I sometimes travel to Cozumel solo and I rent a car. I always rent from Margarita at Rentadora Isis. Her price includes the needed insurance. I would go to the Hertz website and look into the cost of insurance in Cozumel. If you were worried about them "jacking Up" the price, make sure you have a copy of what the corporate website states what the cost will be. I got this from the Hertz site: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/rese...rentalTerms.jsp?KEYWORD=COVERAGES&EOAG=CZMT50
Have a great trip.
By the way, my husband had an accident and although he had to go to the police station, he spent no time in jail. We had insurance and were covered!

It is a quarry south of Wentzville (near St. Louis) called 'The Dive Stop'. It is only for divers and it has new owners who are working really hard to make it a fun place to dive. It's not Coz, but it is a place to get wet when I can't be in paradise. :wink:

We've done the Orbitz hotel/car deal our last 4 trips - after discovering the combo deal was actually less than the hotel room by itself, once we used the 200entertain code. First 3 trips were with Avis, last one was with Hertz. At both counters the guys are very nice and there is no pressure to buy insurance, or to jack up the price. They don't even pressure you to upgrade like they do in the states at every rental counter. And in both instances, the guys that went over the dings & dents on the car with us knew the cars so well they we're marking off every little mark before we even said anything. We've had really nice cars, and one that was so-so, but all had air and drove well. As for the insurance, there were usually 3 options. We did not take the most expensive one. Can't tell you all the differences as I left the research on that one up to the DH. You might want to check on-line, or give Hertz a call to get info on the different coverages, but I wouldn't worry about the guys working the counter trying to presuure you.

I will say - if this is your first time renting, watch out for the 'travel' advisory guys on the floor and in the booth next to the car rental. Even if you tell them your car is pre-paid, they try to offer you money to take their 'deal' instead. Saw them latch on to a family waiting on the Avis guy to come back, when I was there earlier this month. They had a real hard time taking a no from my DH.

Here's a pix of one from a trip or two ago ...

Attachments

• Coz Trip 3-13-08 to 3-20-08 009.jpg
    Coz Trip 3-13-08 to 3-20-08 009.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 213
Thanks Kat. That makes me feel a bit better.
I know since Hertz is on site, they have to charge an airport tax of 15% per day. I am wondering how to contact them to see if I can pick up at one of their other locations or better yet, have them deliver it to my hotel (I have heard some of them will do that and I figure the charge for that has to be less than the airport tax?! ). If you don't mind asking your DH, did he pick the 'middle' insurance?
Julie

Okay - weird thing about Hertz - they did not charge us the extra airport tax. Avis did on the 3 previous trips. I know the Oribitz deal lists as 'all taxes included' but Avis always charged us an extra airport tax. Now I'm wondering Hertz slipped up, or Avis over-charged us the tax.

I'm pretty sure we choose the middle option on insurance, but I'll check with him when he gets home. We also considered the hotel pick-up, but never really checked into it. If we were on the early flight coming in, it was nice to stop for lunch before heading to the hotel.

I DON'T CARE IF YOUR CREDIT CARD OR HOME INSURANCE COVERS YOU OR NOT, ALWAYS GET FULL COVERAGE INSURANCE FROM THE CAR RENTAL PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRUST ME, THIS IS THE VOICE OF EXPERIENCE SPEAKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't want to spend AT LEAST one full day of your valuable vacation time dealing with the police, car rental and insurance people, (should something happen), GET THE FULL COVERAGE INSURANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been there, done that...don't EVER want to do it again.

The minimum price of getting the full coverage insurance, which I think a lot of the rental places make manditory nowdays anyway, is far less than the hassles you will encounter without it.

Last edited:
I've interested in hearing about this as well. I've been looking at the Orbitz deal with the entertain code and it almost pays for the car depending on the insurance cost. It appears from the websites that the insurance on all levels is a little cheaper for Avis than for Hertz. Avis has $23.00/day for LDW, $11.99/day for additional liability(above the required by law amount) and 3.99/day for Personal coverage(you and passengers). So it seems a bit cheaper than Hertz.

Let us know how this works out for you.

Rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom