Renting dive equipment in Cebu, Malapascua, and Palawan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree previous comments about Bubble07 on Malapascau. Nice people - you will enjoy diving with them. To stand much chance of seeing the threshers you will need to be on the shoal between 5am-6:00am. Duncan can also take you to the sea cave full of reef sharks and the wreck of the Donna Maralyn is a great dive.

jbb:
I would also recommend a book for SE Asia dive travel "Diving Southeast Asia" A guide to the best dive sites in Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Thailand -Periplus Action Guides - published by Periplus Editions (HK) Ltd.

I picked it up at Barnes and Noble in the states.

It does a good job of reviewing dive sites in the areas it describes with dive shops listed in the back. It is not complete by any means as it doesn't mention Malapasua but gives a descent comparison of dive areas. I have also dived the wrecks off of Busuanga Island which was my first warm water diving and quite enjoyable. Not the greatest variety of places to stay and eat but adequate and cheap for avid divers. Bottom of wrecks at 100'-120' and top at 60' or so. Mostly Japanese Freighters of WWII. More divable than Chuck or Bikini but the U.S. salvaged (lots of blasting) most everything off of them after recapturing the islands.

Check this web site for e-mail addresses and shop web sites in the Philippines and elsewhere www.scubaspots.com. It is where I found Bubble07 for Malapasua and Dive-Right in Coron Town on Busuanga Island. Both good websites with good information. I had good luck with both as far as pleasant, knowledgable, experienced people operating each shop at the time I visited.

Anyone reading know of good books for the rest of Pacific diving destinations such as Palau, Fiji, Vietnam, and other island destinations. thanks.

Enjoy the trip
Jason

Dive-right at Coron were OK. But they long ago closed down.

Hi all,

Thanks for the information. This will be very useful! Again, I can't wait to go!!

Cheers,

Mel

Sorry to hear Dive-Right went under. The website is still active and useful information for the dive sites. I just dove with them in May of 2003 and had a great time with Anne and HP who were running the shop. I tell ya 50% of the my enjoyment of diving around the world are the people you meet along the way.

Jason

....was the very reason I decided to buy my own regulator.

I dove in Moalboal, Apo Island, Siguijor, Alona Beach, Southern Leyte (whale sharks guaranteed in April / May - www.leyte-divers.com) and on Malapascua last year. Except for Moalboal (Neptune diving), the state of the equipment was not very inspiring. With Gunther's regulator in Leyte, I had to get rid of one mouth of water for every three breaths. I decided to buy my own set to avoid such minor distractions in the future. It has worked wonderfully.

Enjoy the Phils - it is marvellous. Don;t count on the hammerheads at Cabiloa though - El Nino chased them away or a Taiwanese trawler fished them up, depends on who you talk to too. I fear the latter.

Regards, Arjan

Hi Bombarie,
Could you please furnish us with more details about your trip to Southern Leyte? The diving, especially the marine life and corals, and how it compares with the other locations you have visited around Cebu. How regular are the whaleshark sightings? I was thinking of heading there next week. Thanks.

seamonster:
Hi Bombarie,
Could you please furnish us with more details about your trip to Southern Leyte? The diving, especially the marine life and corals, and how it compares with the other locations you have visited around Cebu. How regular are the whaleshark sightings? I was thinking of heading there next week. Thanks.

Seamonster -

I envy you for having the opportunity to go there next week. I travelled around in the Visayas last Spring, spent a few days at Gunther's place near Padre Burgos, S. Leyte (see previous link).

Getting there is a bit of a hassle, you need to take a boat from cebu city. My inbound travel to Maasin, S. Leyte was from East Bohol on a pumpboat; the return from Maasin to cebu city took around 7 hours on a slow ferry. Don't know whether there are any fast cats sailing between the two places. From Maasin, it is about 3 hours by public transport south to Padre Burgos, which is on the very south tip of the Island. Just around the corner is Sogod Bay - where the American Navy awaited the Japanese Fleet during WO II and hammered them. According to Gunther, the wrecks are too deep. (Sogod Bay is perhaps 8miles wide, but in the middle, a few miles deep.)

Diving is nice - but I wouldn't rate it higher than Pescador Island (Moalboal) or Apo Island. In fact, I think I would rate it a bit lower. Please note that at the time I was there, wheather was a bit too rough (not too great viz) to make it to Limasawa Island further out, which apparently is truly grand. My comments hence only apply for the Tangkaan Pt area. Gunther has been doing a great job to keep the idiot dynamite fishers out, but nevertheless, quite a few spots have been blow out of the water.

The big attraction are the whalesharks in March / April / May that congregate in huge numbers (the mantas joy them). Gunther will tell you that with a bit of luck in this season, you may be able to see multiple of the beasts during a single dive. If there is any spot in the world to see them - this is it (aside Ningaloo reef - where you cannot dive with them anyway, I understand). It is for this that I would recommend, obviously, to go there nexte week if you have the opportunity. You can always do the other Visayan spots closer to Cebu City later?

You will note that I have referenced Gunther a lot - that is cause his operation is the only one around (there may be a UK guy there as well by the name of Pete - check the web; I could not find his place). He rents two bungalows on the beach, each with two rooms of which you can rent one. His wife will cook for you and you will have your food whilst the Gunther family breakfasts, lunches and dinners. That is the downside IMHO: cause it is so remote, there are no alternatives to Gunther's place for food etc. If you go with a few buddies, that should be fine. Alone (like me), you may start feeling uncomfortable as you virtually live with the family. I got out after three days - with a 1 hour dive experience with a 6 m whaleshark in the pocket (it was late June; hey that is Summer not Spring).

Despite this, I would give it a go. This should be the time for the big boys, a rare opportunity! As I mentioned - bring your own regulator and dive computer. Gunther's antic regs served all over the world for the last 20 years and were an exceptional experience to dive with - albeit it not a very pleasant one. Moreover, Gunther has gills and his computer is the protomodel for the first wrist mounted dc ever made. Let's just say that the Suunto alghoritm in my Stinger declared Gunther multiple times seriously bend but he seemed unbothered with that - years of experience count for something in the end then and those Suunto's are "way too conservative anyway" (but nevertheless - i prefer to rely on Fin technology instead). He is an interesting character.

Finally - please check whether the area was effected by the recent mudslides and if so, whether it is accessible. Would be a big let down if you cannot make it there after risking your life on that ferry for 7 hours !

Enjoy!

Thank you for the very useful information.

I will be travelling by ocean jet fast ferry to Hilongos where the dive centre will pick me up. I will be diving with Peter as I heard he has a bigger and faster boat.

I should be getting there by Saturday night after a few days at Malapascua and will probably stay for 4 days. Wish me luck!

Back
Top Bottom