Repair training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to chime in on this one too. I sure bet the manuafactures do not make their own replacment parts like diaphgrams, o-rings, hoses, and threaded ends etc. They buy them from some other supplier like Parker seal for 0-rings. I bet if you took the time you could find suitiable replacement parts and rebuild a reg. Also, whats the deal over annual service anyway? Are we too dumb as divers to know that when we hook them up they either breath of not breath. I mean what's the percentage of chance that three second stages (your two and your buddies octo) will simply stop working after you exhaled your last breath at 150 ft anyway. Gee my kitchen sink, dishwasher, and clothes washer that are carrying water under pressure doesn't have reccommended annual changes in their rubber parts.

MikeFerrara:
There already are after market parts for some regs. .... For other regs (like sherwoods) you can buy the seats after market and other parts too ?

Mike

Can you identify sources for aftermarket seats? I thought Trident made a hockey puck style HP seat that looks like it would work in the Scubapro Mk5/Mk10 and their copies. I'm sure LP seats for classic downstream designs should be available somewhere even if it is from applications other than scuba. At one point I was ready to get some material from M-C and a punch to try knocking out my own. I'm not sure what compound or hardness to use but probably would have started with EPDM in duro 70 and see how it worked.

The problem with starting an aftermarket parts manufacturer is that there are so many different regs out there, most with completely different parts aside from o-rings. A company would have to focus on several related regulators at first to make a profit. I considered making clone parts for the Conshelf series. There are several machine shops in the area who would give me a great deal on parts runs. But could I turn around and sell 1,000 or 10,000 Conshelf bodies, or hp stems? The market price would have to be high to make it worth the price per part in smaller quantities. I don't know of any regulators that have both a high value and a low supply of parts(even grey market parts), although some styles of vintage equipment come really close.
Then again, you might just create the market by making the parts available. If it became apparent that a Conshelf XIV(or whatever) could be upgraded or rebuilt(or even built from scratch) with strictly aftermarket parts, more DIY'ers might buy them up, resulting in a larger market for you. I hope that this is the way the old Aqualung double hose market will grow.

PADI Knight:
I'd like to chime in on this one too. I sure bet the manuafactures do not make their own replacment parts like diaphgrams, o-rings, hoses, and threaded ends etc. They buy them from some other supplier like Parker seal for 0-rings. I bet if you took the time you could find suitiable replacement parts and rebuild a reg. Also, whats the deal over annual service anyway? Are we too dumb as divers to know that when we hook them up they either breath of not breath. I mean what's the percentage of chance that three second stages (your two and your buddies octo) will simply stop working after you exhaled your last breath at 150 ft anyway. Gee my kitchen sink, dishwasher, and clothes washer that are carrying water under pressure doesn't have reccommended annual changes in their rubber parts.

I think it's all about the warranty. While it's under warranty they require documented regular service or your warranty is voided. I have only bought used regs. I have them checked regularly but my tech only replaces parts when they show signs of stress or wear. I have never had a reg failure of any kind and I don't have it overhauled every year. The last time I took my regs in I was told, "I replaced ..., ..., ..., and ... they should be good for another 2-3 years". :14:

MRF:
I think it's all about the warranty. While it's under warranty they require documented regular service or your warranty is voided. I have only bought used regs. I have them checked regularly but my tech only replaces parts when they show signs of stress or wear. I have never had a reg failure of any kind and I don't have it overhauled every year. The last time I took my regs in I was told, "I replaced ..., ..., ..., and ... they should be good for another 2-3 years". :14:

The way I look at it...who cares about the damn warranty...they can keep it.
It's just ANOTHER way of them forcing out F.U.D. to get you to go back to them to have work done.

The auto industry was doing that with oil changes, etc until they were forced not to do that by consumer interest groups. Now you can change your own oil and other things without voiding warranties.

And do I worry about the warranty when I do a brake job? No, and I'm not going to start worrying about a warranty for a couple hundred buck regulator either. In fact, I'm MUCH more comfortable with knowing for a fact that my reg is working and serviced right by me. I won't worry about voiding a dumb warranty that would probably take more trouble to take advantage of than it would be worth anyway.

I don't buy extended warranty plans when I buy a couple hundred buck dvd player or a computer either.

But, if you don't feel comfortable doing your own work you really should have them serviced by a qualified tech and I agree that having the warranty valid is a minor benefit, however small.

John C.

There are 4 reasons to establish an annual service interval.

1. Amount of use.

2. Type of use.

3. Design of first stage. Piston or diaphram

4. Increase the profit margin of your LDS and the manufacturer.

I like the diverite option. But I can buy the Alpha 7 and Sp4 1st for about $125.oo.
This makes it a disposable regulator. If I use this for several years of trouble free use, then it has paid for itself. They work just fine for recreational diving and training. Why put a $ 500 regulator in a chlorinated swimming pool with a student who never held a regulator in his life? And I agree with the others- who cares about a warranty?

MRF:
I don't have any stories of poor service but I would sure like to hear them, and the stories of exceptional service.

I watched a guy at a local shop screw the wrong HP hose into somebody's first stage, completely stripping the threads in the process. He then calmly called the poor sucker and told 'em that the first stage wasn't repairable. All this 'cos their "repair bench" was so disorganized that NOBODY could figure out what part went with which reg. It was a total mess. BTW, the poor sucker was just in for their yearly overhaul, and the reg had worked fine before the 'technician' destroyed it.

Right after that, I bought Vince's book and hunted all over the 'net until I found sources for the actual repair manuals and parts for my regs. I also got the specialized tools needed to do it correctly. I've accidentally destroyed one of my second stages once, but at least I knew what I'd done wrong, and didn't find out about it ON A DIVE. I've read more than a few reports of folks having a reg malf after it's yearly overhaul...

My 2psi worth.

dirt diver:
I watched a guy at a local shop screw the wrong HP hose into somebody's first stage, completely stripping the threads in the process. He then calmly called the poor sucker and told 'em that the first stage wasn't repairable.

That's just REALLY wrong! Thanks for sharing.:14:

MRF:
THANK YOU! I thought so but didn't have any proof.

I don't have any stories of poor service but I would sure like to hear them, and the stories of exceptional service.
Our dive shop owner, who is also an Instructor-Trainer, is the designated repair tech at our LDS. He is one of the exceptional ones you want to hear about. I'm happy to take my gear to him for servicing. He's also happy to show interested divers how to repair their own gear. A couple of nights ago I was at the shop while he was servicing a reg. As I watched intently, he explained in great detail what he was doing and why. Hey, last night I even changed the batteries on our two Suunto computers and thought I was hot stuff. Now if they just don't leak on my dives next week...

CoyKoi:
Our dive shop owner, who is also an Instructor-Trainer, is the designated repair tech at our LDS. He is one of the exceptional ones you want to hear about. I'm happy to take my gear to him for servicing. He's also happy to show interested divers how to repair their own gear. A couple of nights ago I was at the shop while he was servicing a reg. As I watched intently, he explained in great detail what he was doing and why. Hey, last night I even changed the batteries on our two Suunto computers and thought I was hot stuff. Now if they just don't leak on my dives next week...

See now, that's great. If more people tried to explain what they are doing while working on regs than more folks would be educated about the fact that its NOT voodoo (as some would like you to think)! :theyareon

Back
Top Bottom