Repair training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are there any makes of regulators (other than Dive-Rite) that are more user-serviceable than others? Are any particularly difficult?

CoyKoi:
Our dive shop owner, who is also an Instructor-Trainer, is the designated repair tech at our LDS. He is one of the exceptional ones you want to hear about. I'm happy to take my gear to him for servicing. He's also happy to show interested divers how to repair their own gear. A couple of nights ago I was at the shop while he was servicing a reg. As I watched intently, he explained in great detail what he was doing and why. Hey, last night I even changed the batteries on our two Suunto computers and thought I was hot stuff. Now if they just don't leak on my dives next week...

That's a tech I would feel comfortable taking my gear to AND would be happy to pay him well for his services. Thanks fo sharing!

I agree with scott ,when it comes to reg. service.for the sake of a 100 bucks every couple years its worth it to have a dealer deal with it.but when it comes to neapreem repairs can be done with contact cement , a needle and small fishing line.also auqa seal or marine goop for shaff marks on your suit ,with your dry siut boots ,as soon as you see where they are shaffing ,put aqua seal on the shaffs.its also easy to make a mold to run lead in to make lead slugs foe your weight belt ,also easy to make great anhle weights with bike flash, clips and scrap lead ,you have to run the lead..,,they will be bigger and heavyier to fit dry suits,,,,,,,,,if you want details you can add me to your msn list at griffin_5558@hotmail.com

GruntHunter:
Are there any makes of regulators (other than Dive-Rite) that are more user-serviceable than others? Are any particularly difficult?

I bought Apeks because they are rock solid, reliable regs. Parts are available cheap from Europe. I'm only familier with Apeks, but from what I've seen, as compared to some other regs, they are very simple in design and very user-serviceable. I have more tools than are even mentioned in the repair manual.

scuba lover:
I agree with scott ,when it comes to reg. service.for the sake of a 100 bucks every couple years its worth it to have a dealer deal with it.[/email]

For those who only have one or two regs and don't care to mess with it, I'd agree. On the other hand if you have 15 or 20 regs like I do and/or just prefer to do it yourself, then I don't agree.

These days I usually have some one else work on my cars but that's a choice. With scuba equipment they attempt to make that choice for you.

MikeFerrara:
These days I usually have some one else work on my cars but that's a choice. With scuba equipment they attempt to make that choice for you.
Yeah that's what burns me to no end. I had my LDS service (good job I might add) my Regs during Rescue training (didn't want to bother although I had the tools and kits, just hadn't started rebuilding yet) but they whacked me $140.00. Probably because I bought it on the net before I even took my OW courses. For that price I could just ebay my regs every 2 years and buy new. The letter I got back with my serviced regs really burned me. I posted highlights on the board in a thread way back. Basically yelled at me about sand in my regs, don't let "incompetants" work on the "internals". There was supposedly a scratch on the seat, and it surely "never left the factory that way" yada..yada....yada........LDS scare tactics. And this one really got me going.....HOW ARE YOU AT DOING CESA'S ??????? C'mon. I know the guy who does the regs is an engineer by trade, he really does do a good job, tunes his regs real well and all, but can you believe that crap?

If you want to learn to service your regs or become a regulator technician, there are several places that offer training. Most commercial dive schools and dive instructor schools (large places like Hall's and Pro Dive) offer technician training. There are also some private instructors and shops that offer training. In the metro DC area, Virginia Scuba http://www.vascuba.com/ offers scuba repair technician training, cylinder inspector training, oxygen equipment service training, and gas blending classes. I can personally recommend them since I have gone through those classes. The repair tech class is obviously the one that covers regulator service. It is three days long and pretty comprehensive. You learn theory, assembly/disassembly, tuning and troubleshooting, and flowbench testing - it is focused on a specific brand of regulators (you end up with a Aeris certification) , but you look at other brands and how different/similar they can be (I have Scuba Pros and Apex so I was particularly interested in those) and get to play with all kinds on the bench tests. This class also covers hose and bcd service. I have no interest in working in the dive industry - I just wanted to be able to service my own gear and do so safely.

Jackie

Well my 2p worth...

I'm new to diving, but I'm a competent mechanic and something of an engineer... and I have to say that the most wonderful thing about scuba regulators, is their simplicity! Why else would they work so reliably!

There is no voodoo! they are straightforward devices that use simple o-ring seals and basic parts. Hell I reckon I could build one if I had too... Buy an old SP Mk10 off ebay and strip it if you don't believe me!

BTW anyone know what the SP Mk10 HP seat is made of... my guess is PTFE but I'd like to know for sure... it's a convenient 1/2 x 1/4 " size! very easy to produce on my mini lathe!

I have to say that i bought new apaks regs to dive... based on recommendation, but I will be doing my own service.. I also picked up a SPmk10 and a USD conshelf... both of which i have stripped now since they both had creeping IP's. once I get around to either acquiring, or compiling the service kits I'll get them both dive ready...

I think that diving has to be the only sport that surpasses skiing in terms of the ammount of horse manure that gets shovelled around by mfrs regarding user service....
can you believe that rosignol insisted on a factory service to replace a cover that fell off my binding last year... well that won't happen again.. a couple of stainless self tappers now hold the covers firmly in place... touche rossignol! Anyone want to start diy mods on their regs....? :p

how about spare parts, like upgrade kits for sp 1sts 10 to 10+ etc, and apeks ATX seconds, i.e. to take the 40 to the 50... or 100 they are basically identical apart from a couple of extra parts and the price hike! Anyone got any sources.....

FatRob:
how about spare parts, like upgrade kits for sp 1sts 10 to 10+ etc, and apeks ATX seconds, i.e. to take the 40 to the 50... or 100 they are basically identical apart from a couple of extra parts and the price hike! Anyone got any sources.....

Apeks parts are not too hard to find, Europe, sometimes Ebay. Anyone got any source for parts for my Aqualung Titan LX? I had 8 2nd stage rebuild kits I got off Ebay for like $4 a piece but sold them for $8 before I bought the Titan. Now I can't find parts. If I can't get them reasonable I'll Ebay it and get another Apeks. PM for details.

Back
Top Bottom