Repair training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BMETdiver:
I am interested in learning how to repair and service my own gear, Octo, reg, and the like. I would like to find out how I can get training to do this. Before I get people who want to remind me that this is life support equipment I would like to say that I am a Medical Equipment Repairer and therefore life support equipment is something I understand. I also understand that there are probably flow valves and settings that need to be set a certain way to work and that is why I want to get the training.
Lee

ok here is the deal you will void all of your warrenties if you service your own gear no company will back it's gear if you mess it up. second the classes you take as a tech will show you how to troulbe shoot all your problems you will run in to. your best bet is to have a tech service your gear and let you LDS do it for you , that is what they are there for to go to bat for you and help you when you get in trouble.

Agreed unless the training is actually thru the manufacturer. Many shops have training seminars for factory certs for their employees. They will not however usually let customers take the course for obvious reasons. One way around this is to ask your lds if you can help out. It's how I got started. No pay just more diving opportunities and sometimes free air! Anyway I'm now manager and even tho I still get paid in air I get discounts on gear, will be taking some factory repair seminars soon at no cost to me, and get to be in the water (open and pool) alot! If you've got factory cert you can also make some extra cash servicing others gear. You may need liability insurance tho for this if you don't do it thru a shop.

Diver_81:
... that is what they are there for to go to bat for you and help you when you get in trouble.

But be sure to know your lds and the people there well. Especially the owner. I had an equipment failure and the *%#@$+*! at the shop didn't do ANYTHING to help me out until the manufacturer called him complaining on my behalf. They replaced my equipment with a brand new latest model, he no longer receives my money.

we have become such a litigious society that we can not (sometimes by law) except responsibility for our own actions. That being said, Make friends with a LDS an see if you can talk them into sponsering you for training ,at your own expense, on your personal brand of grear in exchage for <<slave labor>>. As idiotic as this is it is a thread that you find in many industries.

You live in a free country Right!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom