Replace mode dial oring PT housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaalblake

Contributor
Reaction score
OK. I have a PT-053 housing on a TG-1. It's pretty much the same housing as the entire range of TG cameras.
I always wash off in fresh water and maintain well but housing is 5 years old and occasionally I get a minor leak.....luckily camera is waterproof.
I've done a lot of checking/testing and I think its coming in around the shaft of the mode dial. That's a thumb wheel on the back of the housing, that links via a plastic cog inside to wheel that changes the mode.
While I can see how to change the orings on the pushbutton controls (very fiddly but possible taking out the circlip) there seems to be no way to remove the mode dial shaft. Is this true?
Seems like the two plastic wheels inside and outside are permanently glued to the shaft in manufacture? Is that true? There are no circlips or screws or anything I can see. Has anyone removed the shift on one of these housings?
Seems crazy that basically the housing is scrap for the ability to change one oring? I have lots of tools and the right size orings and am a certified technician for serval makes of reg - but I cant see anyway to take this apart.....
help.......

You have the right camera > super-macro picture would help; outside and inside.
It went together, should come apart. Generally the dials are more complicated than the buttons.

IMG_1976.JPG
IMG_1975.JPG
IMG_1973.JPG
Here's some photos in case they help. I have removed the friction wheel that rubs against the camera. The one that I can't see any way to remove is the one with a cog that connect to the control on the outside.

Likely the inside gear is press fit on a spline. I suspect you would pry it off. I don't have first hand knowledge so take that what it's worth.

Usually it's just the little c-clips as seen on the buttons. Sometimes the clip is in an award
place but it doesn't appear that way in your pictures.

You don't need a circlip on a dial that rotates as there is no spring pushing back on the shaft to cause the button to return and water pressure pushes in from the outside. The shaft would need to be keyed to the little cog and is probably a press fit, you could try pulling it off by grabbing both side with thumb/forefinger or prying it evenly from both sides. I have a TG4 housing and it's exactly the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom