Replacement for Aqualung all-in-one Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimdiverman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I spent the last couple of years getting my fiance certified and interested in SCUBA. We got married on April 14th (Thank you very much!) and went to Grand Cayman on our honeymoon. On the very first dive, (and on the Kittiwake wreck), her all-in-one computer/dive watch/depth guage/tank pressure guage flooded. This was about the 12th dive on the unit. Needless to say, we were bummed. I knew I had a bad feeling about buying an all-in-one. I won't make that mistake again. Now I am looking to replace that with a wrist computer and a single pressure guage. I can handle the guage. Does anyone have any recommendations on a wrist computer for recreation? (Yes, she is also nitrox certified, so we need to be able to change gasses up to 40 % O2.)

Thanks.

Jim

I would also consider Oceanic and Suunto for wrist computers. Some might grumble about a Suunto but I think they are still good computers for the price (Zoop/Zoop Novo). For Oceanic, Veo 2, Geo 2, OCi...it depends on how much you want to spend. It depends on your budget.

I am sure you are aware that any computer, AI or wrist mount, can flood, so I don't think you should necessarily shy away from an AI. I have two AI computers that have been in use since 2010 and have never flooded. Any underwater device that depends on an O ring/gasket to keep the water out can flood if the O ring is damaged, not installed correctly, or has some debris such as salt crystals in a critical area. Since flooding is always a potential issue, I recommend you invest in a backup analog gauge set to avoid thumbing a dive if the computer craps out.

So I spent the last couple of years getting my fiance certified and interested in SCUBA. We got married on April 14th (Thank you very much!) and went to Grand Cayman on our honeymoon. On the very first dive, (and on the Kittiwake wreck), her all-in-one computer/dive watch/depth guage/tank pressure guage flooded. This was about the 12th dive on the unit. Needless to say, we were bummed. I knew I had a bad feeling about buying an all-in-one. I won't make that mistake again. Now I am looking to replace that with a wrist computer and a single pressure guage. I can handle the guage. Does anyone have any recommendations on a wrist computer for recreation? (Yes, she is also nitrox certified, so we need to be able to change gasses up to 40 % O2.)

Thanks.

Jim
Is the computer still under warranty with only 12 dives on it? Perhaps it would be worth discussing with the folks where it was purchased or directly with Aqua Lung. Which model do you have?

My family and I have had very good luck with with AI computers, both hosed and hoseless. These computers were all Oceanic, manufactured by Pelagic Pressure Systems (PPS). Aqua Lung purchased PPS from American Underwater Products in 2015 and this is the source of their current line of dive computers.

Is the computer still under warranty with only 12 dives on it? Perhaps it would be worth discussing with the folks where it was purchased or directly with Aqua Lung. Which model do you have?

My family and I have had very good luck with with AI computers, both hosed and hoseless. These computers were all Oceanic, manufactured by Pelagic Pressure Systems (PPS). Aqua Lung purchased PPS from American Underwater Products in 2015 and this is the source of their current line of dive computers.

Thanks for the feedback. Part of the issue is that I purchased all of her gear as part of a package from a dive shop locally. When you do that, you limit your choices. I'm going to probably do some searching with some reputable sops online and order it online. The dive shop is telling us to bring it in to them. I'm going to have the opportunity to do that today. Thanks again for the reply.

Congratulations on your marriage!!

What brand/model of "all-in-one computer/dive watch/depth guage/tank pressure guage" did she use?
It was an Aqualung all in one. I'll have to go dig up the model number. I'm going to take it in to the shop where we bought it today.

I am sure you are aware that any computer, AI or wrist mount, can flood, so I don't think you should necessarily shy away from an AI. I have two AI computers that have been in use since 2010 and have never flooded. Any underwater device that depends on an O ring/gasket to keep the water out can flood if the O ring is damaged, not installed correctly, or has some debris such as salt crystals in a critical area. Since flooding is always a potential issue, I recommend you invest in a backup analog gauge set to avoid thumbing a dive if the computer craps out.

In my opinion, all in one is a single point of failure, and that is exactly what happened. It isn't that a wrist computer can't flood or a guage can't flood. It is just that you lose everything all at once with an all in one. I won't buy another all in one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom