Replacement for D4i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look up the tec guys in Thailand, I am sure someone is looking to upgrade.

Another question about the i300C:

I've been reading the manual which indicates (page 19) that the dive log only stores the most recent 24 dives.

I guess that means that if you do a liveaboard with more than 24 dives you're SOL unless you bring your laptop (which I don't have)?

I store all my dives using Subsurface on an iMac, so, for me, this is a fatal flaw for the i300C. Is there any way around it?

With user replaceable battery in mind...

Are OSTC any good for you? I suspect the price may be issue as you mention the retired fixed income, but they are cheaper than Shearwater. I have dived with peope using these computers, they’re pretty good.

heinrichs weikamp

With user replaceable battery in mind...

Are OSTC any good for you? I suspect the price may be issue as you mention the retired fixed income, but they are cheaper than Shearwater. I have dived with peope using these computers, they’re pretty good.

heinrichs weikamp

Thanks. Really nice, but probably outside of my budget range.

@Buadhai How about a Mare Puck Pro. Its inexpensive.

It's me again.

I continued on with the D4i. But, it already needs a new battery after 21 months and only 67 dives. (That means the battery costs about US$1.50 per dive.)

Any updates to the above recommendations? I'd like a computer that doesn't go through batteries so fast and/or has user replaceable batters. Also, I need a USB cable that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Compatibility with Subsurface is a must.

Price is less of an object than it was two years ago….

TIA

I can't believe you are complaining about getting only 21 months out of a battery.

My wife's Zoop is four and half years old. has done just over 200 dives and is still on the original battery.

Well, there you go. Get a zoop. I'm sure there must be a lot floating around.

Another question about the i300C:

I've been reading the manual which indicates (page 19) that the dive log only stores the most recent 24 dives.

I guess that means that if you do a liveaboard with more than 24 dives you're SOL unless you bring your laptop (which I don't have)?

I store all my dives using Subsurface on an iMac, so, for me, this is a fatal flaw for the i300C. Is there any way around it?
24 is the limit for the number of dive summaries available in the Log menu mode. More dives are stored in download memory. Rate of memory use is determined by the sample rate setting. They don’t provide guidance for that amount, but I have had various Pelagics for decades, and at the 30 sec sample rate I think you will easily have dozens of stored dives.

I can't believe you are complaining about getting only 21 months out of a battery.

It costs about $100 to have the battery replaced. Since I bought the D4i five years ago I have had to replace the battery three times for a total of $300. That seems excessive to me.

If I had the manual dexterity and confidence required to replace the battery myself, the cost would be much less. I don't, so I have to pay to have it done.

It was a mistake to buy an "always on" dive computer. I won't make that mistake again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom