Replacement MC-E LED head for Canister Divelight ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you sure that you bought enough, Will? :)

I've used 4200 and 5200 quite a bit on a Carolina Skiff that I used to own. Similar compounds, but 4200 allows you to take things apart later. 5200 is a bear to take apart.

It looks like this project is just about a wrap, yes?

It looks like this project is just about a wrap, yes?

Not just about ... I am done :eyebrow:

Got the switch wired - please note the polarity:
BLACK is POSITIVE, and
WHITE is the NEGATIVE:
I already tested the polarity protection and it works. It will only turn on when wired are noted above:
DSCF7700.JPG

Unfortunately the original screw that held the battery contact was over-tightened at some point, and the threads are gone, so I had to fit a new one:
DSCF7702.JPG

DSCF7703.JPG

I then wired the head, after sealing the head:
DSCF7704.JPG

DSCF7705.JPG

DSCF7706.JPG

DSCF7707.JPG

One last test to make sure everything works:
DSCF7708.JPG

DSCF7709.JPG

New SS hardware for the bar for the Goodman handle:
DSCF7710.JPG

DSCF7711.JPG

And the final picture, a before and after:

BEFORE:
DSCF7121.JPG

AFTER:
DSCF7712.JPG

I can't make it any better. Now you can test it and let me know how it works out for you :wink:

Will

He , he , ....wquiles...... to long screw from battery contact holder in to the lid?

May I ask - do you have battery pack fixed in some holder to manege with these connectors ? I try to made my own lids in next two or three weeks but with inner acrylic bottom to hide wires , but possibility to control reed electronic through artifical glass.

Nice headlamp

It looks incredible, Will. Fantastic job!!

Lucca: The battery pack sits in a shallow indentation the bottom of the bottom of the canister. There are two semicircular pieces of acrylic siliconed to the battery pack, also. One is on the top and another about 1/2 way down. The canister is delrin. The female connector is also siliconed onto the battery pack. So far, this has worked very well. On other canister lights that I have had, there was simply a two pole "trailer plug".

It looks incredible, Will. Fantastic job!!
Thanks Grant. Your package is ready and it leaves today via International FedEx. Once I get the tracking number I will send you an email with it.

Please keep me posted once you start using it under water :)

Will

I tested the light on a short, shallow dive and it was excellent. The beam is very tight, with very little spread around the hot spot. Unfortunately, the dive was not the best to compare the brightness of this setup with the previous halogen. I hope to do that later this week. However, the light cut through the particulate very well. All the internals stayed dry, and the modifications that you made to the switch protector worked a treat.

All in all, Will, I would say that your mods are a resounding success!! To the group, I would recommend Will's work to anyone. You've seen, in the pics that Will has posted here, that his attention to detail is second to none.

Last edited:
Will

I'm finally getting around to posting this here.

My buddy and I dove a wreck in the St Lawrence last week. Inside the wreck, there was some junk in the water, but viz with the lights was a good 20 feet. Without lights, it was pretty much completely black. My buddy dives with an HID canister light. I don't know the wattage, but when he bought it, he was told it was the "equivalent of a 50w halogen". In the wreck, his beam penetrated the murk a bit greater distance than mine, but not much. My colour was warmer than his by a long shot. His is quite blue. As far as beam spread, they were very similar at about 10 -15 feet away.

All your work on the new glands and the waterproofing has paid off. Everything has stayed clean and dry over half a dozen dives.

All in all, a very successful project, in my view.

As we discussed following the dive, our next project should be to reduce the size and weight of my canister. I am currently carrying 2 x 12v/7ah batteries. For halogen, this may have been good, but with the small draw of the led you made for me, this is serious overkill. As I have some almost-new 12v/2.2 ah batteries, I would like to go with a small canister to house one of them. For longer dive days, I could always switch them out at the site between dives.

Thanks Grant - I am very happy everything is working out well during actual diving use :D

Look forward to working with you on the future/smaller canister :wink:

Will

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom