Replacing a hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDelage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
All - how hard is it to replace a hose? I'm looking at the divegearexpress hose selection, and I'm wondering whether replacing my hoses (for regs & inflator) is something I can do by myself or whether I should let someone with more experience do it.

It's exceptionally easy. All you need is a crescent wrench. You don't need to torque on them hard or anything, just a bit more then hand tight should do it.

Take an equipment specialty course first, lest ye will most surely perish.

I read that on the nets.

It could get complicated, it might take 2 crescent wrenches.

Seriously, I can do it, if I can do it you can.

It might take some practice before you can do it on a pitching boat though.:D

I admit I know the feeling. First time I did it I wasn't so sure. It is no more difficult than putting a cabinet together from IKEA.:D

Very easy to do. Just be careful not to damage the threads. If the hose becomes tight when you're screwing it on, stop and start again. Across threaded hose could cost you a lot more than the hose you've bought.

Greetings JDelage it is relatively easy.
No worries I remember thinking the same thing when I started.
One tip I would give you is to purchase a O-ring kit with the variety of O-ring sizes and 02 compatible lube for the O-rings.
Usually in this kit you get a small pic as well to assist in removing a bad O-ring.

Make sure you use a appropriate wrench a small crescent works nicely, as others have stated I also use a multi tool for my dive repair kit.
The hose once loosened will turn out by hand and thread the new on in by hand as well.
Be careful when tightening it up it only needs a little snugging.
It is a O-ring seal so be careful not to damage the O-ring you can test this by simply put it on the tank and pressurize it.
A small bit of dish soap in a spray bottle with reveal any trickles of gas.

When removing hoses form second stages be very gentle with fittings.
They are chrome plated brass so they can be scratched or rounded easily but as long as you are not over tightening / using a poorly fitting wrench it is pretty easy.
Have fun and enjoy the gear.

My diving took on a whole new dynamic when I started working on it.
I can now do or trouble shoot most of it.
Enjoy.

CamG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom