Replacing back zipper on semi-dry suit ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trappist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to check if I can try and replace the zipper on my semi-dry suit which has teared of at the ends and leaks out pretty badly...
I have seen great posts (Dave4868 and LP Brett), very inspiring. I was just wondering if I could simply replace the current plastic zipper by a more robust drysuit zipper...

Anyone has experience to share or posts to point to which I could have missed in my searches ?

It will aslo depend on the price of the zipper... since a new suit is only in the 300-400EUR range (except if it has drastically increased in the past few years).

:)

I had a zipper go south after the first dive in a brand new semi-dry. I brought the suit in to a local tailor... or more accurately, a really old-school Polish shoemaker. He ended up replacing the whole thing with a more robust zipper, after determining the original zipper and stitching were "factory garbage". Cost me $40 and I haven't had a problem since.

So I'd say go for it. DIY or take it to someone who understands the seals/materials.

Sorry for the late postings but I tool mine to a local Korean dry cleaner and they replaced it better than Mfg. for about $30.00. A friend of mine had his semi-dry zipper replaced by a suit repair expert for about $150.00.

Back
Top Bottom