Replacing existing main line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JonG1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Linked to the other thread the main line in the mines we dive predominantly were laid about 8-9 years ago during the initial exploration but are now in need of some TLC.

I'd be interested in the protocols used by others in similar pursuits.

Do you lay new alongside old, move markers across and then remove the old, or remove the old first and then install new section.

How do you manage the metres of old line coming out, do you recover onto empty reels or bundle into net bags?

Do you use the old tie offs and only change if seriously better alternatives exist?

Linked to the other thread the main line in the mines we dive predominantly were laid about 8-9 years ago during the initial exploration but are now in need of some TLC.

I'd be interested in the protocols used by others in similar pursuits.

Do you lay new alongside old, move markers across and then remove the old, or remove the old first and then install new section.

How do you manage the metres of old line coming out, do you recover onto empty reels or bundle into net bags?

Do you use the old tie offs and only change if seriously better alternatives exist?
I know the Americans came to Mexico and changed the mainlines to thicker gold ones, much to the chagrin of Mexican expedition divers. The warning signs outside the popular cenotes was the worst example. Although, I understand foreigners frequent these cenotes.

Lay the replacement parallel, pull the old and move the markers over as you on the way out. If there’s a better tie off or placement solution, use it.

a reel to retrieve the old works well IF there aren’t a bunch of complicated tie offs. If there are, then you’ll be futzing with knots, cutting, and retying. It’s bad. In those cases I just ball it up around my hand, and I’ll shove the ball into my pocket when it becomes unwieldy.

Around here the old line gets ripped off placements every winter and embedded with wood, leaves and junk - so its basically basically a giant twisted mess. We use mesh bags during removal dives, there's no way you could reel it up and its way too bulky for a drysuit pocket

The condition of the existing line and the reason for taking it out will dictate your tactics.

I know the Americans came to Mexico and changed the mainlines to thicker gold ones, much to the chagrin of Mexican expedition divers. The warning signs outside the popular cenotes was the worst example. Although, I understand foreigners frequent these cenotes.

Since it seems you haven't actually been there...
There is a line committee of locals guides and instructors and all recent work has gone through them. Recent gold line changes were to establish that gold lines were for caverns where tours often take place. Gold line would not used in a section of cave with a tourist cavern at the entrance to reduce the potential of a stray tourist following a gold line into a cave.

Since it seems you haven't actually been there...
There is a line committee of locals guides and instructors and all recent work has gone through them. Recent gold line changes were to establish that gold lines were for caverns where tours often take place. Gold line would not used in a section of cave with a tourist cavern at the entrance to reduce the potential of a stray tourist following a gold line into a cave.
No I haven't been there but I run a 1800 Hotline where Mexican cave divers can lodge their complaints. The self righteous is among us.

Thanks for the replies, ours are in mines so not subject to flow, just age in 1 and in the other they are the original exploration lines which need quite a bit of TLC and improvement after around 6 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom