Replacing Grommets on DUI Weight Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
¡Hola!

I use DUI Weight and Trim Classic Harnesses, and I've noticed that the grommets on the back side get all bent-up after a while. Today's inspection revealed one that has actually broken apart and others may soon follow.

They appear to be a 0.5" I.D. grommets (aluminum?). I think this should be an easy fix... Just get some [stronger, stainless] grommets and a die set, and have at it.

Has anybody else done this same fix? Any gotchas or things to be aware of?

haven't on that specific model, but I've replaced grommets before. Any good automotive or marine upholstery shop should be able to do it for you pretty cheap, but DIY works just fine

Yup, just did it with a grommet & die kit from the local hardware store. Appears to have worked fine.

one of the things the equipment mfg's like to make people think is that there is some special voodoo that goes on in making scubagear, from regulators, to BC's, you name it. A grommet is a grommet no matter how you look at it, some may be higher quality than others, but it's still just a grommet... I'm lazy so I pay the upholstery shop about $1/grommet to put them in for me so I don't have to, but there is nothing special about it.

done it on a couple of sets. The problem with the cheap hardware grommets is they did not hold up to the salt water environment. If is had spent the money on good ones from a canvas shop I am sure I would have had better results. The actual bags had holes before I ended up replacing the harness. Everything wears out eventually

Back
Top Bottom