Replacing Hoses On Mares MR22 Ruby Abyss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving_Joe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am in the process of ordering new miflex hoses for my Mares MR22 Ruby Abyss regulator. The problem I am having is with the high volume hose. I want to replace it with a 7 foot miflex hose. However, I have noticed a copper outlet tube on the first stage that I assume reduces the turbulence of the air as it flows out of the first stage. The problem is finding the correct fitting for this port. I am going to also replace the rst of the hoses, but this is the one that is vexing me now.

It has been suggested that I just plug this port and use one of the other 3/8" regular ports, but I like the high flow aspect and this would probably significantly affect the performance. It is impossible to over-breathe this regulator... even at depth. If I can figure out how to upgrade this one I plan to buy at least two more.

Hi rewetting,

I used a 1/2 ---> 3/8" adapter on our MR-22's when we went to Miflex hoses:

1/2" Male to 3/8" Female Regulator Adapter (AA48)

I used a different brand fitting that looks just slightly different (sorry,can't remember where I got them), but the one above or anything similar should do the job, and allows you to use standard hoses.... some folks will say it adds a "failure point", but honestly, it is no more prone to fail than any other hose-to-1st stage connection.

Or, you can find 7' standard hoses with 1/2" fittings as well.

The DFC ports (the one you see the outlet tube in) in theory provides better airflow, but I've never been able to tell any difference between the various ports (3/8 and 1/2). Probably only something that can be measured at the edges of the perfomance envelope, and by a machine.

Best wishes.

I agree with Leadturn. At one time, Aqualung/USD, and Apeks used a 1/2" hose connection and a fat hose for the primary. Testing has proved that the "need" for the larger hose was primarily marketing hype, and these companies have returned to 3/8" for all of their LP connections.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom