Question Replacing hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wants2divemore

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I seen the recommendation to replace hoses every 5 years. Is this based on estimated use over 5 years, or hoses degrading naturally over 5 years regardless of use?

I have an extra BC inflator hose I'm not using that came with a wing I bought 2 months ago. When I replace my current BC inflator hose in 4 years, would it be safe to use my extra hose for another 5 years from then, or should I replace it with a new one and discard the unused hose in 5 years?

Thanks.

I believe that advice was for the braided Miflex hoses, because they would harden internally and become brittle. I don't replace rubber hoses without indications (e.g., surface cracks or tiny bubbles).

I have HP and LP lines on my older setups that are at least 15 years old. I only replace lines when I want a different length or color. If they fail then I go to my save a dive kit and replace the bad one and continue my day of dives.

There appears to be a lesser life with braided hoses. I don't replace on a schedule, just when they need. If I had older braided hoses, and the potential issues of missing a dive was significant, I'd likely have a spare of some "universal" size I could swap in, or just replace them. Right now, most of my diving would allow me to handle a bad hose fairly easily without major consequences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom