Replacing oceanic bcd inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys. Searched around and realised the inflator on my bcd is not servicable and its meant to be replaced. Was wondering if there are adapters to allow my 3/4 inch ID corrugated hose to fit standard 1 inch inflators or can i swap an entire standard corrugated hose and inflator assembly and fit that onto the bcd?

The bcd in question is an Oceanic Islander that I got used.

I cannot believe that the inflator is not serviceable. I was told exactly the same when I had to service my inflator and someone here in SB sent me the maintenance procedure for a similar inflator. I finally realized how silly was to service my inflator knowing how to disassemble/reassemble it. Only cleaning the schreader valve and new o-rings. Several cents instead of a new inflator, but, most important, not trowing away an inflator just for a small leak.

Oh, and one other thing. I should have mentioned this in the first place. If the current corrugated hose is 3/4 inch, you CAN stretch it over a 1 inch standard inflator. Very hot water or a hair dryer and liquid dish-washing soap will make the job easier.

I cannot believe that the inflator is not serviceable. I was told exactly the same when I had to service my inflator and someone here in SB sent me the maintenance procedure for a similar inflator. I finally realized how silly was to service my inflator knowing how to disassemble/reassemble it. Only cleaning the schreader valve and new o-rings. Several cents instead of a new inflator, but, most important, not trowing away an inflator just for a small leak.
I think the reason it is officially non-serviceable is because it has plastic pieces that are clipped/pressed together, and getting it apart risks breaking those pieces. If they don't break, fine. If they do break, you were warned.

Thank you for the wealth of responses and amazing info being shared here. Will study the maintanence manual.
Thank you also for verifying that the standard elbow and hose assembly would fit the oceanic one.

I was searching and found a thread talking about these inflators being replaced during service intervals instead of being serviced hence i decided i would try and find out it they could be replaced with a standard servicable inflator as i found throwing away good parts very wasteful. Was planning to carry a spare standard assembly with me in case the oceanic inflator dies on me (if the standard inflator could fit)

And now i found the answer here. Cheers everyone!

Q. My inflator hose has tragically snapped off my perfectly fine Seaquest BCD on a high dive boat entry the other day. I've cut out all the gritty plastic and have a smoothish ring to put in some kind of replacement male bladder attachment and butterfly sealing ring. This $20 "bladder wing male assembly" fix would be ideal if it fit. The other option I see is the $80 "Scuba-Fix" solution. Has anyone done that in real life with good feedback?

Q. My inflator hose has tragically snapped off my perfectly fine Seaquest BCD on a high dive boat entry the other day. I've cut out all the gritty plastic and have a smoothish ring to put in some kind of replacement male bladder attachment and butterfly sealing ring. This $20 "bladder wing male assembly" fix would be ideal if it fit. The other option I see is the $80 "Scuba-Fix" solution. Has anyone done that in real life with good feedback?

That DGX Bladder assy. is intended for bladders with a 1 inch diameter hole. The SeaQuest Bladder flange, when broken and removed left behind a 2 inches hole in the bladde. Unfortunatelly there are few solutions. I've been 3D printing flanges for several brands of BCDs with success for more than a year. I can completely understand your worry. I have already repaired several almost new BCDs with broken flanges.
Unfortunatelly for you I live in South America and sending you one of my printed flanges could cost almost the price of a new BCD.
I have no experience with that Scuba Fix solution, I admit that it's insanely expensive. The idea is always the same. The original flange is RF welded to the cordura. The plastic of the original flange britles and breaks. The new flange cannot be welded back. It hast to be formed of two parts that press in the middle the original cordura of the bladder with some sealant.
I've seen some BCDs that were repaired with a plastic flange done in a lathe, but those flanges are too bulky because you need material to be able to lathe plastic and avoid huge deformations.
IMG_5734.JPG
IMG_5735.JPG

Hi guys. Searched around and realised the inflator on my bcd is not servicable and its meant to be replaced. Was wondering if there are adapters to allow my 3/4 inch ID corrugated hose to fit standard 1 inch inflators or can i swap an entire standard corrugated hose and inflator assembly and fit that onto the bcd?

The bcd in question is an Oceanic Islander that I got used.
When you buy an Atomic SS1 it comes with adaptors for 1/2" and 3/4" hoses as well as 1". You can buy the adaptor kit but it is expensive for what it is.

That DGX Bladder assy. is intended for bladders with a 1 inch diameter hole. The SeaQuest Bladder flange, when broken and removed left behind a 2 inches hole in the bladder. Unfortunately there are few solutions. I've been 3D printing flanges for several brands of BCDs with success for more than a year. I can completely understand your worry. I have already repaired several almost new BCDs with broken flanges.
Unfortunately for you I live in South America and sending you one of my printed flanges could cost almost the price of a new BCD.

Please consider posting your design to thingiverse.com . Then anyone can grab the design and use services such as Online 3D Printing Service | FDM, SLA, MJF, SLS & DMLS | 3D Hubs or 3D Printing Service | Shapeways or 3D Printing | 3D Print Services | The UPS Store or many other options. I've used 3d hubs before. I had them print up some bungee strap adapters for a Scubapro Galileo Luna dive computer that I used to have. I think it cost me around $10 for several sets. My printer is laser SLA and the resin is way to brittle for any kind of scuba part. It works well for creating a sand mold for cast iron or rubber parts. When I need something tough and plastic, I have someone else print it up for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom